Yeungling overtakes Boston Beer Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Yeungling but its the fruitiest smelling lager I have ever had. I have to believe they ferment this one a bit high. It has serious ale-like flavors.

Tampa has a Yuengling brewery so it is sort of a 'local' beer and on tap at just about every restaurant in the area. I have always liked it, not as a go-to beer but (a) as a cheap but satisfying 12 pack and (b) as my draft beer of choice at restaurants that don't have any other good beers on tap.

Lately Negra Modelo costs about a buck more per 12 pack though I prefer that so I have been laying off the Yuengling as a result.

On a side note...They sell Yuengling porter in Wal-Mart around here for 5.99 a sixer. Can I ask the last time any of you bought a sixer of any porter for 5.99? I appreciate Yuengling for the little stuff like that.

Yuengling is a good beer and at a great price. They also offer a variety of other styles at prices that are unheard of. I'd rather see Yuengling everywhere than Bud, Coors, Miller ect. Sam Adam's is too expensive for what they offer. Yuengling also has all the history and the honor of Oldest Brewery in the USA. I would love to make it out to their Brewery soon, but its pretty far from NJ.

6pack miller high life....$3.79
6pack miller light....$3.99
6pack Tecate.....$4.29
6pack budweiser.....$4.49
6pack yuengling.....$4.99
6pack molson.....$5.49
6pack heineken....$6.29
6pack sierra nevada.....$6.99
6pack sam adams.....$6.99 (note: at anoter local store this weekend it was $8.49 any sam adams 6pack)

I'm also not a fan of the lager. I like the black & tan but I find that the lager has an odd taste that I don't really care for. I haven't had once since I started homebrewing and paying closer attention to "off flavors" though. I should probably try it again.

I agree its a great balance of affordability and taste. Have always loved it growing up for a session lager. It had a bit of an exotic following of sorts (cultish almost) growing up in CT. Funny thing is, I think they might have sold it there, just not in my area, but kids would go berserk if they could get their hands on a case of it. Personally when I am back in CT we go to the Ten Penny Ale for our session at the local pub these days.

Take note aspiring brewers: Yeungling is the largest and oldest domestically owned brewery in the US and is still only available in 14 states. Slow,steady, controlled growth is the key to their success!

since yeungling has a brewery in Florida now I wonder what the taste difference is since I'm sure the water profiles are different between Florida and Pa.

since yeungling has a brewery in Florida now I wonder what the taste difference is since I'm sure the water profiles are different between Florida and Pa.

they also have had breweries in NY. went to brooklyn brewery for a tour. they had bottles from turn of the century breweries in NY. i was surprised to see a Yeungling bottle. did some more research and found that it was true and common practice. i;m sure they treat the water to make it close at least.

I've been drinking Yuengling for about 11 years now.... since they bought the Strohs brewery in Tampa. I've had their lager, light, Lord Chesterfield Ale, Porter, Black and Tan... I really like them all.

On a trip to the NE we drove through Pottsville. We stopped and took the brewery tour. I've also been through the Boston Brewery tour, as well as the Brooklyn Brewery. Just don't care what you say, this is a great American brewery and company. I'll support Yuengling as long as they brew beer.

I'll support Boston Brewery as long as they brew beer.

I'll support Brooklyn Brewery as long as they brew beer.

I'll support ANY small American brewery as long as they brew beer.

Just can't support Miller, Coors, or AB products... although Bottingtons is incredible beer. I semi boycot Bottingtons since they were bought by InBev.... but it's so good, I have to cross the picket line every once in awhile.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I heard that the brew from Florida tastes different from the stuff made in Pottsville. I am assuming why there maybe some haters out there. I even read one post that said it was fruity? Huh? I been drinking "lager" for 20 some years. In that 20 years I did run across some bad "lager". Seems it may of been water down or next to no taste, not sure why that happened. It's On tap everywhere, of course im only 20 mins from pottsville.

Totally biased lifelong PA resident - I like Yuengling, grew up on it. Like someone else said - its probably the only non-craft brew I buy at this point. Guaranteed to please the most stubborn BMC drinkers. And we have a lot of those ;)

When I turned 21 the first thing I did was buy a case of Yuengling Lager
I kept it in the fridge where my grandpa keeps his BMC. His response was "Who put all this dark **** in here!?"
:smack:

One of my friends loves Yuengling and brings it to all the parties we have. I personally can't stand it. It isn't refreshing to me, leaves me with a weird taste in my mouth that needs to be flushed out with water or a different beer. I definitely believe that palates can be wildly different, so I would never knock the beer just as I don't knock BMC, but for me personally, I have never had a Yuengling that I've enjoyed.

I also get that weird taste, and I also find it very off-putting.

around here ya just ask for a lager and ya get yeungling so yeah its the biggest seller in this area. It's the best of the cheap beers and pbr is not even close. but if there are other quality beers on tap I pass on yingling. Sam adams is a much better beer but much more expensive. It is pretty amazing that a regional beer can out sell a nationally distributed beer. just shows how much of the stuff we swill down.around here :drunk:

Regional brewery? They distribute in 14 states, and have another brewery in FL...not what I would call regional.

Growing up and still living in the Philly suburbs any bar you go in just order a "lager" and you get Yuengling. I always thought that was great! For what it is I think it's okay - cheap and better than Bud and ML. Most people around here when they have a keg party get Yuengling so over the years I've really grown pretty tired of it. Needless to say, I've learned to BMOB, even weddings which really pisses my wife off. When the bride and groom cut the cake I sneak out to my car with a bottle opener and a glass. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Any one of us can name 30 better beers in one breath
..but
...there isn't a better mass produced, cross over beer on the market. Name a mass produced American lager that blends traditional light American lager style with some color/caramel/hop character? It opens eyes to more flavor and character.
Am I serving it at my daughter's wedding? No. But the beer deserves as much credit as BlueMoon.

(I get pours of 10oz Yeungling lager or Black&Tan iin glass mugs for $1.63 as I wait for takeout at the fav local Italian restaurant)

I love all their brews...but I have to agree...their Black and Tan is one of the best beers I have ever consumed....

Back