The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast... Why am I making this so friggn complicated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
dsmith1279
Gridiron Beerworks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast... Why am I making this so friggn complicated?

So I just completed my homebrew system and can now do 10G batches. Woo Hoo!! But the VooDoo of yeast is friggn killing me.

OK so Ive been doing research. I've read through Mr. Malty's site and think, and I use that term loosley, think I have it down. Please check me here.

For a standard Ale in a 10G batch I will need to make a 1L starter and then pour this all into a 4 L starter to get the 400B cells needed for the 10G batch. If so, this is the process I woiuld use? Correct?

1. Activate a smak pak
2. Prepare a 1L starter solution by boiling 1L of water with 100G of DME for 15 min and cool
3. Pour in teh activated yeast into the 1L starter, cover with foil and set aside for 18ish hours
4. Make a 4L starter by boiling 4L of water with 400G DME for 15 min and cool.
5. Pour the full 1L initial starter into the 4L. Let rest for 18 hours.

Now. Do I pour in the full volume into the wort or do I chill, decant and pour in the slurry into the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

with that size starter I would decant there can be off flavors in starters due to temps and whatnot

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 02-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1279 View Post
So I just completed my homebrew system and can now do 10G batches. Woo Hoo!! But the VooDoo of yeast is friggn killing me.

OK so Ive been doing research. I've read through Mr. Malty's site and think, and I use that term loosley, think I have it down. Please check me here.

For a standard Ale in a 10G batch I will need to make a 1L starter and then pour this all into a 4 L starter to get the 400B cells needed for the 10G batch. If so, this is the process I woiuld use? Correct?

1. Activate a smak pak
2. Prepare a 1L starter solution by boiling 1L of water with 100G of DME for 15 min and cool
3. Pour in teh activated yeast into the 1L starter, cover with foil and set aside for 18ish hours
4. Make a 4L starter by boiling 4L of water with 400G DME for 15 min and cool.
5. Pour the full 1L initial starter into the 4L. Let rest for 18 hours.

Now. Do I pour in the full volume into the wort or do I chill, decant and pour in the slurry into the wort?
Chill, decant, pour slurry. Just overnight in the fridge should be fine for chilling.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love this place. I was going to ask the same question. Pitch and wash the yeast after your batch. These are my plans now that doing 12 gallon batches make you think about cost reduction.

Quick Reply