Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I just love the one guy who gives you bad advice that you happen to agree with "II use sugar all the time yadda yadda yadda" is the one you listen to?

Why the hell do you waste our time then, and just do what you want?

Other people have given you the REAL REASONs why it's not a good idea, but that doesn't suit you.

Quote:
Prepare the Starter Wort

First thing's first, we're going to need some wort to use in our starter. By far, the best food for yeast that is going to be consuming wort in the very near future is, you guessed it, wort. I say this because you may, at some point, have the idea that you can just use table sugar for your starter. This is a bad idea because the yeast will become accustomed to consuming the simple sugars in table sugar and when it's time to eat up all those beer sugars (maltose, etc.) they will not take to the idea very well and may drop out of the fermentation before the job is done. Think of this as having to drink a Bud after having a great, homebrewed beer - you wouldn't want that and, in a way, it's the same with the yeast.

The best source of easy-to-prepare wort is dried malt extract (DME.) You will need enough DME to prepare a starter of about 1.040 OG. A higer gravity, regardless of the beer you're going to make, is not better as the higher gravity will stress the yeast more than is needed for simple propagation and will leave your yeast in bad condition for the fermentation itself. To achieve the proper gravity, you will need about 6oz (by weight) of DME for every 2 quarts of water1. That equates to roughly 3oz. of DME for every 1000ml of starter water you use.
Rather than simple sugar, or just jumping on the one that agrees with you, why don't you look on here for alternatives to waiting for dme, RATHER than using something that is not good for your beer? Because he agrees with you?!?

find the nearest Mexican grocery or even the nearest big box grocery store (like Meijer's) that has an "international foods" aisle and look for Malta Goya

Or Malta India

Quite a few people use it as a starter....It is pretty much just a lightly hopped, carbonated wort. Some people just stir it to release the co2, others bring to a boil and other's just bring it pasturizing temps. ANd then pitch the yeast.

There's a few threads on here about malta goya starters, both here and on other boards (google it)...and we even talked about it in the GAP (Grocery and produce challenge thread)

Another option is to have him head to a bed bath and beyond or even a big box store that might carry mr beer refill packs and buy one of them...he can use the can of LME as his starter extract.

But really why waste our time bothering to ask, is in truth all you're asking for is a rationalization for your bad brewing behavior???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I just love the one guy who gives you bad advice that you happen to agree with "II use sugar all the time yadda yadda yadda" is the one you listen to?

Why the hell do you waste our time then, and just do what you want?

Other people have given you the REAL REASONs why it's not a good idea, but that doesn't suit you.

Rather than simple sugar, or just jumping on the one that agrees with you, why don't you look on here for alternatives to waiting for dme, RATHER than using something that is not good for your beer? Because he agrees with you?!?

find the nearest Mexican grocery or even the nearest big box grocery store (like Meijer's) that has an "international foods" aisle and look for Malta Goya

Or Malta India

Quite a few people use it as a starter....It is pretty much just a lightly hopped, carbonated wort. Some people just stir it to release the co2, others bring to a boil and other's just bring it pasturizing temps. ANd then pitch the yeast.

There's a few threads on here about malta goya starters, both here and on other boards (google it)...and we even talked about it in the GAP (Grocery and produce challenge thread)

Another option is to have him head to a bed bath and beyond or even a big box store that might carry mr beer refill packs and buy one of them...he can use the can of LME as his starter extract.

But really why waste our time bothering to ask, is in truth all you're asking for is a rationalization for your bad brewing behavior???
Ok I thought there might be other people who agree if you ask random people a question and they all say the same answer that doesn't mean it's the right I was just making sure. And I must not be wasting your time because if your time is so valuable then you wouldn't of posted on this thread or any threads and you would be spending your time somewhere else where it's not being "wasted".

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What kind of recipe are you brewing? If it isn't high gravity (>1.060) and its fresh yeast then why not just skip the starter and pitch it out of the pack? Id do that before I'd make a starter with simple sugar...

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount
What kind of recipe are you brewing? If it isn't high gravity (>1.060) and its fresh yeast then why not just skip the starter and pitch it out of the pack? Id do that before I'd make a starter with simple sugar...
Ya but I'm always hearing about people pitching starters for the best performance. I'll probably just pitch out of pack anyways.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
lou2row

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Why are so many of these from people from Ohio?

"head hung in shame smiley"

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row
why are so many of these from people from ohio?

"head hung in shame smiley"
oh io oh io!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopuff829 View Post
Ok I thought there might be other people who agree if you ask random people a question and they all say the same answer that doesn't mean it's the right I was just making sure. And I must not be wasting your time because if your time is so valuable then you wouldn't of posted on this thread or any threads and you would be spending your time somewhere else where it's not being "wasted".
I dare you to ask whether there is any benefit to extended time in the primary.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopuff829 View Post
Yeah... let's not listen to the guy with almost 28,000 posts and has probably made more beer than you've ever drank. Instead listen to the guy who's made 8 batches because he does what you're hoping for

If you want to make a starter with simple sugar... go nuts. Just don't be surprised when you have under-attenuated beer.

Also +1 on the Malta Goya suggestion. I used to live in Waco with no LHBS and would use that for my starters.
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I dare you to ask whether there is any benefit to extended time in the primary.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Or whether a secondary fermenter is necessary .

Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Why do anything? I think Miller lite is on sale somewhere. Really, if you want to use sugar for your starter go ahead.
A couple weeks later you will be asking why your beer tastes like shti, but its still better than you can buy uptown.
No offense, either do or don't I don't care. Some of us are probably more passionate than others.

Quick Reply