Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Starter Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Yeast Starter Question

Hey guys and gals,
I made a 700 ml starter last night for my upcoming Wit, which I was going to brew tomorrow. Now it looks like I wont get to brew until next Monday. I put it into the fridge to slow the yeast down but is that enough?? Is keeping the starter refrigerated until Monday O.K.? Anything I should be worried about? Thanks. Big Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I ran into a similar situation with a Steam Beer. I made the starter on a Wednesday with plans on brewing the following Saturday. I had to delay those plans until the following week. So I put the starter in the fridge and stepped it up a few days before my brew day by decanting most (but not all) of the liquid from the starter, boiling some more water and DME, cooling that mix to room temp and then pouring it into the starter bottle which I decanted from. That worked fine. I saw some activity in the starter and when I pitched I had a normal fermentation cycle.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 05-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

probably fine. ideally you would have let the starter ferment out and then put it in the fridge.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree w/ nutcase. But since that can't happen, I'd tell you what I would do in the same situation.

I would repitch that starter yeast into another starter today or tomorrow. 700ml seems a bit small anyways unless you were using a stir plate (go to mrmalty.com in the future and use his pitch rate calculator).

Typically w/ starters, you can get away tossing the whole thing in the beer if it's a bigger beer. But a whit is pretty delicate. So i'd repitch into starter today...after it's done fermenting out. Put it in the fridge just enough to have it separate to beer up top and yeast down low. Pour off the beer and just pitch the wort into your batch. This way your starter gunk won't be affecting the taste of your whit.

If I'm correct in assuming your starter was a bit small, this should help fix it by
'stepping it up' again -- and I'd be sure to aerate really well too.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Quick Reply