Yeast Sedimentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the yeast sedement of my homebrew. Every batch I bottle has a significant yeast cake at the bottom of every bottle. I am currently brewing small batches. 2.5 gallons or 1 gallon batches. Does everyone have this issue or is it just because I brew small batches. Am I overpitching? Any suggestions. some batches can have an overwhelming taste and smell of yeast. Any help is appreciated.

If the sediment is excessive there could be a few different reasons.

You could be racking to the bottling bucket before the sediment drops out of suspension and the trub/yeast layer has not compacted. The trub/yeast layer will be compacted with three weeks of primary time and the beer will be clear.

Moving the fermentor before racking could loosen the trub/yeast layer and the siphon, even though not near the bottom, is drawing in the suspended sediments.

Your racking cane is down into the trub/yeast layer. Tilting the fermentor before racking will decrease the surface area of the beer when you near the bottom of the fermentor. This makes it easier to see the point the siphon should be pulled up.

Hope some of this helps.

Back