The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast returning in a bad way?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
gyllstromk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast returning in a bad way?

I recently tried a bottled homebrew that has been conditioning for 2 weeks. I refrigerated it for a few hours. Both the "youngness" and the short cooling time lead me to believe that a lot of yeast was in suspension. A lot of yeast was visible on the bottom of the bottle.

The beer tasted fine, great even. The dregs were quite yeasty (nearly opaque), but I sampled a bit anyway (i.e., I drank nearly pure yeast). Didn't taste bad.

The next day, I had a bad encounter. Let's just say it involved an hour on the toilet and it wasn't pretty.

Question is: did I "poison" myself on the yeast? Is it bad to consume in large quantities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
jppostKW
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Meh lots of B viatemens (sp) worst that will happen is you will be a little gassy might have the bubble guts

Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I always try to leave as much of the yeast sediment in the bottle as possible and bottle conditioned beers still give me gas. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I drank the sediment.

I haven't noticed it much since I started kegging.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Live yeast is actually pretty good for you, but as you found out it can be a diuretic when comsumed in larger quantities. No need to worry, and you now know a home remedy for being stopped up.

Quick Reply