Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
chris75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Question

I am looking to save alittle money in this economy and I was going to re-use the yeast from the bottom of the primary. I have found many steps as it pertains to washing the yeast and storing.

The question I have is once racked to secondary and the sediment in the primary is left. Should I just scoop out the sediment and move that to a mason jar and then let it settle and then transfer it to smaller containers? Also once that is done. Would it be the same amount of liquid yeast I would normally use for a 5 gallon batch.

Thank you so much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Saving yeast saves me tons of money! I have several strains in the fridge right now, and really like reusing it.

There are some better techniques than just scooping it out and saving it, though. You want to get rid of the trub (which can cause some off-flavors) and keep only the yeast. You always want to be not just sanitary, but overly so, if that makes sense. Take a look at this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/
that will really help with yeast washing and saving.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Saving yeast saves me tons of money! I have several strains in the fridge right now, and really like reusing it.

There are some better techniques than just scooping it out and saving it, though. You want to get rid of the trub (which can cause some off-flavors) and keep only the yeast. You always want to be not just sanitary, but overly so, if that makes sense. Take a look at this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/
that will really help with yeast washing and saving.

+1
This is a great technique. It's quick and easy and saves lots of money. Plus it allows me to have a variety of yeast at my disposal.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Proofman
Recipes 

Once you wash the yeast, How long can they be kept in the fridge and still be viable?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I've kept and reused yeast for about a year or so. Always use a starter when you pull it out of the fridge. I've had great luck with all of the yeast I've washed and saved.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
chris75
Recipes 

Thank for all the help

Quick Reply