Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Phenols vs. phenolic flavors in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default Yeast Phenols vs. phenolic flavors in beer

I thought 'phenolic' flavors were plastic-like or band-aid-like and thus were bad flavors to have in beer. But in reading some style guidelines from BJCP they mention 'peppery, spicy phenols' or 'Yeasts prone to moderate production of phenols' (these are both from the Belgian Pale Ale style guideline).

Are they referring to the plastic-y/band-aid flavor or something else?

I'm not very familiar with Belgian beers but I did brew a BPA (or sorts) with WY3787 and it does have a flavor that I have been calling 'spicy' and I think it's from the yeast (at least I hope so...otherwise it's a very prominent off-flavor that I've never tasted before). Is this the 'phenol' flavor? It doesn't taste like plastic or band-aids to me though...peppery/spicy is a better description.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never tasted a bandaid. But in all seriousness...I find it to be more of a medicinal smell. Don't think I would consider it as spicy or peppery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

There are a few different phenols in beer. The medicinal/bandaidy ones are typically the chlorophenols, which occur when chlorine from the water or from bleach chemically bond with the normal phenols produced by the yeast. Some people also perceive phenols from smoked malts as bandaidy/medicinal, particularly when they are young.

The main "good" phenol (in certain beers, such as many belgians and hefeweizens") has a clove flavor. In many beers it is a flaw, but it is indeed often intentional.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I recently brewed a beer using Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend. The resulting beer tasted of yeast based phenolics and it was overt, not subtle. Initially, I thought my beer might be contaminated, but some of my friends using this yeast had nearly identical results. What I found to be rather odd was that Wyeast mentions nothing about this in the description for this yeast. I won't be using it again, except maybe in a Belgian where the phenolic attributes might be desirable.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I recently brewed a beer using Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend. The resulting beer tasted of yeast based phenolics and it was overt, not subtle. Initially, I thought my beer might be contaminated, but some of my friends using this yeast had nearly identical results. What I found to be rather odd was that Wyeast mentions nothing about this in the description for this yeast. I won't be using it again, except maybe in a Belgian where the phenolic attributes might be desirable.
Are you confusing phenolic with esthers?

Quote:
This unique blend of strains is designed to ferment higher gravity worts used in producing any style of Imperial beer. The results will be a rich, malty, full bodied beer with notes of citrus & fruity esters. Even with a high starting gravity your Imperials will have a relatively dry finish.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Are you confusing phenolic with esthers?
Phenols can present themselves as anywhere from a band aid to clove-type spiciness. They are desirable in Belgian style beer at the spice-end of the spectrum.

And so you know, phenolics are phenols. They're the same thing. The proper term is phenols, and a beer can be phenolic.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Sorry, poorly worded.

Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend is known to be estery.
Esters and Phenols are different.

Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I associate phenols to Belgian yeasts but the typical bandaid off flavor is probably more specifically a chlorophenol that is sometimes derived from chloramine in the brewing water.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Someone else correct me about this, but my understanding is that Phenols and Esters are detected by smell and cannot be tasted per se. Smell influences taste, but you are really tasting something else and the smell influences your perception.

Certain artificial flavorings use esters, but I'm not sure that esters are used exclusively. There are other flavor compounds at work.

Or am I reading the flavor wheel incorrectly.

Twitter

Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Someone else correct me about this, but my understanding is that Phenols and Esters are detected by smell and cannot be tasted per se. Smell influences taste, but you are really tasting something else and the smell influences your perception.

Certain artificial flavorings use esters, but I'm not sure that esters are used exclusively. There are other flavor compounds at work.

Or am I reading the flavor wheel incorrectly.
I believe that is correct.

People tend to confuse taste with flavor a lot. Flavor is the confluence of odor and taste.

Quick Reply