Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast + Juice = drinkable alcohol?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
giant016
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast + Juice = drinkable alcohol?

Alright, I was sitting in my night class, trying to stay awake drinking a "Rockstar: Juiced". If you don't know it's like Red Bull, but with something like 70% juice. It dawned on me that with a slight beer taste and some alcohol, this would be a lot better (chemistry makes me want to drink heavily). So I guess my question is, if I added yeast to this and let it ferment, would I have booze? I'm not worried about it tasting like crap, worst case scenario I'm out a few bucks for yeast and the Rockstar. I'm more worried about this being bad for me healthwise. I don't see why it would be poisonous, but I figured I'd ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why would you want to add alcohol to something that's supposed to keep you awake?

Would you take speed and qualludes at the same time?

Old 12-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Why would you want to add alcohol to something that's supposed to keep you awake?

Would you take speed and qualludes at the same time?
Hell yeah I would dude!!!!

Seriously, RedBull and Jaeger (or vodka) is a good mix. Especially in a club on a friday night after a looong day of work when you can't quite get into the spirit... a little pickmeup and some booze combined works some wonders.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
giant016
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm not the first to have the idea, theres a beer called BluCreek Zen IPA that's an energy beer. It was just one of those bonehead ideas that I get when I'm bored. I'm still interested in pursuing it though.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:57 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Alright, I was sitting in my night class, trying to stay awake drinking a "Rockstar: Juiced". If you don't know it's like Red Bull, but with something like 70% juice. It dawned on me that with a slight beer taste and some alcohol, this would be a lot better (chemistry makes me want to drink heavily). So I guess my question is, if I added yeast to this and let it ferment, would I have booze? I'm not worried about it tasting like crap, worst case scenario I'm out a few bucks for yeast and the Rockstar. I'm more worried about this being bad for me healthwise. I don't see why it would be poisonous, but I figured I'd ask.
I think your basic premise is sound. HOWEVER, my only concern is with the funky ingredients and how they would react to the yeast (guarana or whatever that stuff is called, and whatever else). But hey, if it makes you blind, you'll have a great lawsuit on your hands.. so I say go for it!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 AM   #6
Atticmonkey
Recipes 

I dont have a can in front of me but my guess is that the ingrediants will contain a preservative that will keep the yeast from sucessfully converting the sugars into alchol.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm with the above; probably won't work and if it does you won't want to drink it.

If you want a simple, cheap, very drinkable [apparently], alcoholic [8-9%] "juice" try making some of EdWorts Apfelwein (basically apple juice wine). See the Wine forum for the 10-20pg. thread.

At least the apfelwein has no risk of 'making you blind' as someone stated above.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
...But hey, if it makes you blind, you'll have a great lawsuit on your hands.. so I say go for it!
What lawsuit? No lawyer would take the case. It's a simple YOU changed the product and the maker is no longer liable...laughed out of court...

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This reminds me of the home winemakers that try making wine out of Welch's grape juice. I can't even imagine how bad that is.

I'm pretty sure you'd have an alcoholic beverage because it must contain massive amounts of sugar, but I'm definitely sure that I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
What lawsuit? No lawyer would take the case. It's a simple YOU changed the product and the maker is no longer liable...laughed out of court...
"I performed bizzare chemistry experiments on their products, drank the results, and incurred injuries. I demand restitution!"
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Quick Reply