Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > yeast inflated upon arrival

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
quaboagbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default yeast inflated upon arrival

Got some wyeast 1056 delivered today. My wife was home and I had her open the box to refrigerate the yeast and it was already inflated about halfway. She tossed it into the fridge immediately which is where it sits now. I am brewing this weekend and plan on using the yeast in a starter so if any of the yeast was not viable then hopefully the starter will increase the cell counts. Question I have is how to smack a partially inflated package? My concern is that the package bursts and I lose yeast out of the package. Should I not bother smacking and simply open and pour yeast (and nutrient pack) into the starter? 1st time I have run into this and not sure what I can do. Not all that concerned either way but looking for advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I had the same issue (except mine is fully inflated), and I just plan on pouring the yeast and nutrient pack into the starter. I asked Northern Brewer (that is who I bought it from), and they pretty much confirmed what I already suspected; that it isn't uncommon for a smack pack to have activated during shipping, and that the yeast should still be completely viable as normal. Of course they also told me that if the starter fails to take off then to let them know and they'll replace it.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaboagbrewing View Post
Got some wyeast 1056 delivered today. My wife was home and I had her open the box to refrigerate the yeast and it was already inflated about halfway. She tossed it into the fridge immediately which is where it sits now. I am brewing this weekend and plan on using the yeast in a starter so if any of the yeast was not viable then hopefully the starter will increase the cell counts. Question I have is how to smack a partially inflated package? My concern is that the package bursts and I lose yeast out of the package. Should I not bother smacking and simply open and pour yeast (and nutrient pack) into the starter? 1st time I have run into this and not sure what I can do. Not all that concerned either way but looking for advice.

I f you are making a starter there is no need to smack the pack. Just make your starter and pour the yeast in and you will be fine. I often don't bother smaking the pack that is going into a starter.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I f you are making a starter there is no need to smack the pack. Just make your starter and pour the yeast in and you will be fine. I often don't bother smaking the pack that is going into a starter.
I smack the pack and then pour it all right into the starter; there is some good nutrients in there for the yeasties to munch on; there is yeast starving in Korea so shouldn't be wasting food here.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
I had the same issue (except mine is fully inflated), and I just plan on pouring the yeast and nutrient pack into the starter. I asked Northern Brewer (that is who I bought it from), and they pretty much confirmed what I already suspected; that it isn't uncommon for a smack pack to have activated during shipping, and that the yeast should still be completely viable as normal. Of course they also told me that if the starter fails to take off then to let them know and they'll replace it.

Nice of them! If the starter fails, then they'll replace. Makes planning your brew day easy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply