The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Cell Density Meter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Yeast Cell Density Meter

Do you want a tool that can measure the amount of yeast in your starter or wort, and is easy to use?

A product development team that I'm excited to be part of has started design of a beer color and cell density meter.

What would you expect in such a device? How about easier to use than a refractometer? More accuracy than a microscope and hemocytometer? Perhaps 5%, 1% or better accuracy? What if we added some other functions? How about being able to measure beer color using standards such as SRM and EBC? Or some of the less standard methods such as three color equivalent RGB? Lab equipment with this capability can be over $1000 and doesn't have all these features.

Would you pay $100 or $200 for a device that measures cell density more accurately than a microscope and hemocytomter, and color to SRM and EBC standards?

Our team is composed of engineers and scientists with over 40 years of combined in field professional experience. We are looking forward to building a product designed for you, the brewer, but we need your feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
WayFrae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think this would be a useful tool to have. I couldn't care less about measuring color but cell density would be nice. I think having an accuracy to within 5% would be sufficient and I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for such a tool. There are plenty of estimation calculators out there that get close enough and they are free.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I would pay 100 bucks for it. Professional brewers might pay 200.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 84 batches and counting (as of 7/09/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

To measure cell density and color, yeah, I'd definitely be willing to pay $100. Not sure I'd be interested at $200. I suppose I'd be willing to pay an extra $20 for a meter that measures both cell density and color vs. one that only measures cell density.

Good luck with the project. It sounds exciting.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
HungusBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think that could become a key tool for monitoring pitching rates and sounds much more approachable (and faster) than a microscope and hemocytometer. I would focus on that vs the SRM measuring or maybe offer SRM as an upgrade. I would probably pay between $100 and $200 depending on its accuracy vs the micro/hemo counting. Good luck!

BJCP Certified

Brewing Website/Blog:
HungusBrews

Appalachian Trail Hiking Blogs:
GA --> ME 2007
GA --> ME 2012

Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
novahokie09
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd be much more interested in cell viability counts than color.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm confident that we can make a product that fits the expectations that you guys have laid out here. Based on our calculations it looks like the devices will be faster and more accurate than a microscope. Accuracy of better than 5% should be achievable.

With existing cell density meters the result needs to be scaled for the volume of the starter. Would it be valuable to have that built into this meter by selecting the volume of your starter? The actual number of cells could be displayed instead of just a density.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm confident that we can make a product that fits the expectations that you guys have laid out here. Based on our calculations it looks like the devices will be faster and more accurate than a microscope. Accuracy of better than 5% should be achievable.

With existing cell density meters the result needs to be scaled for the volume of the starter. Would it be valuable to have that built into this meter by selecting the volume of your starter? The actual number of cells could be displayed instead of just a density.
Probably it would it be convenient, but remember, the people interested in this are already doing a lot of math. A mere X cells per ml type of scale could easily be enough for what most of us will want.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, that would be blingy, but I wouldn't want to pay more for the product because it has it.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 84 batches and counting (as of 7/09/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
WayFrae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
probably it would it be convenient, but remember, the people interested in this are already doing a lot of math. A mere x cells per ml type of scale could easily be enough for what most of us will want.

I guess what i'm saying is, yes, that would be blingy, but i wouldn't want to pay more for the product because it has it.
+1

Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Doctor_M

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Yes, and seeing as how I paid over 100 for my ph meter and dissolved o2 meter I would have no problem paying 100 or maybe a bit more.

Quick Reply