Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > yeast addition in bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
mdtwnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast addition in bottles

Has anyone tried adding fresh yeast along with the priming sugar at the time of bottling? I have a batch that seems to have stopped fermenting but has a higher SG than I'd like. I heard that a fresh yeast addition at bottling would address this while also carbonating the bottles. Any advice is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Im not very experienced but I would expect a bottle bomb. Why not add yeast to carboy before bottling? How long was ferment time?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

If you think fresh yeast will further attenuate the beer you better do that before it gets in the bottle or your bottles are going to explode from excess carbonation.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You don't want to do that. You really need to make sure that the beer is complete BEFORE you bottle it. Or else you'll get bottle bombs.

If you want to add more yeast to lower the grav of the beer, DO IT BEFORE you're planning to bottle, and give it a couple weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply