Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeah Magpie is Back (Sort of)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeah Magpie is Back (Sort of)

One of the beers that got me into HomeBrewing was Magpie Ale from Big Rock. (A Rye Ale.) Specifically the lack of it.

About five years ago I went looking for Magpie and found out they weren't making it any more. And I said "F this I'm making my own." And thus began the obsession.

Now from what I can gather Big Rock has a pilot brewery and are making small batches for Calgary only draft beer accounts which includes a resurected Magpie.

Any Cowtown guys know were you can get this? Is it the same? Any possibility of Big Rock firing some up the #2 to E-town? It would go down a treat at the Sugar Bowl.

Rudeboy

Movementarians: Would you rather have beer, or complete and utter contentment?
Homer: What kind of beer?
Kegged Ready: Dry Stout; Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Veinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had some of it at the Shabam beer festival that was up in Edmonton a few months ago. Being fairly young I had never tried it so I didn't get what all the buzz was about however a few of my older brewing buddies were telling me it was all the rage when it was first produced and like you they were very sad when it went away. After trying it I was quite impressed I was told by the people working the Big Rock booth that it was still fairly limited supply and was only going to be on tap in a few bars throughout Alberta I suspect if you contact Big Rock they can let you know where you can find it either full time or part time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply