Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wyeast 1968 London Ale is...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1920 Times on 1896 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes! When I made the starter I told my brewing buddy that there is something about this yeast that I have never seen before. When I showed him my starter he was as blown away as I was. But after pitching it...OMG! If it tastes half as good as the violent fermentation it has going, I may make this my main yeast!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
Recipes 

I was reading everyone's comments about not allowing brews to sit on this yeast for a while, and now I'm worried. I did an ESB, which fermented down nicely. Then I used the slurry for an English Barleywine. The BW has been sitting in the primary for 3 weeks as of today. I was planning to let it ferment out completely and then sit another 2 weeks to clean up (I was thinking of racking next week). Now with the comments about not sitting on the yeast and imparting yeasty flavors, I'm wondering if I should rack it to secondary today to age a while. I haven't taken a gravity reading recently (will do tonight), but it's most certainly done fermenting. Thoughts?

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Letting the beer sit on the yeast cake for a few weeks wont ruin the beer by any means, though it can affect the yeast flavor profile. If it has been in there for three weeks as of now, it should be 100% done fermenting. If not, you might have something else going on...

A good rule of thumb for most English yeasts (and highly flocculating yeasts in general) is to go no more than 3 weeks in primary and two weeks if your looking to retain those complex ester profiles. Racking to a secondary to bulk age would be fine at this point, same with kegging.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

I currently have a Slow Elk clone going that uses this yeast and I was already planning on bottling at 3 weeks so this was some good info to discover. I had done the AHS 20th Anniversary ESB with this yeast a couple months ago and left it in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. It turned out excellent as far as I'm concerned but now I'm curious about brewing it again with a shorter primary.

One praise I have for this yeast is that it flocks like nobody's business. It's so good at it that it's almost pain to rinse bottle because it glues itself to the bottom of them...

Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I typically primary for about 2-3 weeks, then secondary for another 1-2 weeks, and then bottle. With the barleywine, I thought it should primary for 2 weeks after fermentation was 100% complete, then bulk age for a while. Not sure how long, but probably 2 months, and then bottle age for another 4 months+.

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
Rifester
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I am currently using this yeast in my freshly fermenting ESB. I am thinking about harvesting the yeast for (my first time) and immediately re-pitching this into the Stone Ruination clone from AHS (it is one of the yeasts they suggest/double pitched). I have heard from others that they consider the AHS suggested yeasts (for this brew) poor choices. What do you think?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have a starter of 1968 and a starter of 3068 going on at the same time.... Just made a quick video this morning. I think the difference is quite amazing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=...&v=WvrUkqWAwYs

(let me know if the link doesn't work)

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1920 Times on 1896 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's an update on my brew with the 1968...I racked to secondary to dry hop last night. Just over 2 weeks in primary. The sample had no off flavors and the beer seems like it is going to be farily crisp. The taste was good. My apparent attenuation was 74%, OG: 1.060, FG: 1.016. I'm pretty happy with that. I plan to bottle it this weekend and I will post an update on how it tastes after it's carbed. I'm thinking that 2 weeks on the yeast cake is not going to be an issue. And since I usually leave the beer in primary for 4-6 weeks, I will get to drink this one sooner. Another reason to love thisyeast!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
CanaBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed a pumpkin spiced ale with this yeast, hoping the less attenuation would leave some complimentary sweetness. I agree, I've never seen a yeast munch wort so quickly. We pitched Tuesday night with a 1L starter, and now Thursday night it's already tapering down. And, yep, the most clumpy, swirling yeast used to date. Damn! I'll let y'all know how it does with pumpkin flavours. Might just have to use it on a vanilla porter.

Quick Reply