Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WOW beers! What are yours?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Agreed. People like what they like, and they're either set in their was about what a "real beer" is supposed to taste like, or they are open to trying new flavors. Every year, I bring a PET bottle filled with my homebrew to a new years eve party filled with friends and family, and two or three of them may actually try it. Usually, they politely nurse a small cup of whatever I bring and then switch to something else because it doesn't taste like a BMC product. This is actually just fine with me, because it means there's more for my Wife and I to enjoy at the party.

If you want to try your hand at bridging the gap between BMC and craft, brew up something with a nice light clean flavor profile easy on the hops bitterness. A Belgian wit, a maibock/hellesbock, a cream ale or even a simple pilsner would be my choices.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
He loves two beers- Budweiser and Genny Cream Ale.
I know the beer drinker you are talking about. I have friends dedicated to drinking Budweiser, Genny, Rolling Rock, Schlitz for the past 30 years, and there is no convincing them there are other alternatives. They wouldn't even try a Yingling or Corona, would never even drink a decent glass of wine. There is no convincing these old school dedicated drinkers.

I did find that the Coors Light / Miller Lite camp seem to be more adventurous & open to trying new things.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would say Red Ale, a Hefe, or pale ale, In that order have, the broadest appeal among my friends.

Also, I agree with the why bother crowd. I would be much more interested in all you HBTers opinions than my friends. I don't have many craft drinking friends. Keep meaning to join a club but I'm a weird hermit that spends all day lurking on HBT.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #34
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz
I would say Red Ale, a Hefe, or pale ale, In that order have, the broadest appeal among my friends.

Also, I agree with the why bother crowd. I would be much more interested in all you HBTers opinions than my friends. I don't have many craft drinking friends. Keep meaning to join a club but I'm a weird hermit that spends all day lurking on HBT.
That would have converted me. Don't give up on BMC drinkers...they (we) just didn't know any better. It's a journey, not a race. Once you discover that you appreciate other flavors and aromas, it's a never-ending journey. That is exactly why I am here now.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #35
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

No one style for me. My wow moment for craft beer came with Victory's Hop Wallup. That was at an early beerfest after I turned 21 and it solidified for me that most beers I drank before were crap (up to that point I was mainly drinking Yuengling, Sam Adams, and stuff like that)

Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte View Post

That would have converted me. Don't give up on BMC drinkers...they (we) just didn't know any better. It's a journey, not a race. Once you discover that you appreciate other flavors and aromas, it's a never-ending journey. That is exactly why I am here now.
Very true. I didn't mean to sound dickish. I used to pound miller lites and thought fosters was craft beer. I've just found in general, when I try to make a crowd pleaser, no one really likes it, including me. Make beers you want to drink and you'll always find a friend or 2 that likes it.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have a brother in law that wants to like my beers, but doesn't for the most part. The only one I've brewed so far that he really liked was Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops.

Not a surprise, since it's very BMC'ish, but still a homebrew.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #38
Nortang
Recipes 

What is a BMC drinker please ????

Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Bud Miller Coors,or what I like to call BCB's...Big Corporate Brews. The wow beer for me was left hand brewing's milk stout. Their nitro stout was even better.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #40
Nortang
Recipes 

Ok I get it, learn somethin new everyday in England it would be CFS Carlesberg Foster Stella lol happy days

Quick Reply