Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Would it be wrong..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Would it be wrong..?

I have my mini-keg with tap ready to go for home brewer association monthly meeting..

But my first batch is at best Ok, at worst barely drinkable.

Then I got a great idea.. I had 2 bottles of Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout and it was what I was going for..

I mixed it half and half like a black and tan.. and voila. My crappy stout, has been come actually quite good. Different than the Duck-Rabbit.. but not as bad as it comes out of the bottle.

So should I make others at the tasting try my "Pond water stout", or mix 50/50 and serve something that will still taste and look home-brewed. But won't be a complete embrassment.. ?

Just curious.. I know what would be in POOR taste (serving my crap), but would it be in Poor taste to do it..?

I will of course be straightforward that I blended.. just more wonderment about the etiquette

BTW.. my Octoberfest and current RIS, are both doing awesome

And for everyone that says "just wait", while they may get better with age.. there is little hope for this batch ever getting better than OK. So the bottles are more valuable to me than whats in them at this point. But hate to waste beer, and will force it down if that's what it takes to finish them off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Sounds like you did make a lot of mistakes on that one. Although, I would think for a newcomer that the reason to bring your beer to a meeting is not so you can show it off and have everything think you are the next brewing prodigy. It is to get feedback from people more knowledgeable than you about the process. If you cover up your mistakes by mixing it half and half with another beer, then you will lose out on any pointers you could get for next time.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1 View Post
Sounds like you did make a lot of mistakes on that one. Although, I would think for a newcomer that the reason to bring your beer to a meeting is not so you can show it off and have everything think you are the next brewing prodigy. It is to get feedback from people more knowledgeable than you about the process. If you cover up your mistakes by mixing it half and half with another beer, then you will lose out on any pointers you could get for next time.
Agreed, the goal should be to improve your skill set and get some solid advice for your next batch.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
CDGoin
Recipes 

True.. very true.. Thankfully though due to this forum, I have learned all the mistakes I need from that batch.

I don't want to be considered a prodigy.. just don't want to embarrass myself either

You guys are probably right.. maybe its not as painfully bad as I think it is..

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Can you do both? Pour a half pitcher of the "bad" beer for "critique" - have experienced members point out the off flavors and likely reasons why they are there. People could have a one or two ounce sample to offer their insight, and then serve the rest using your solution of "blending" as an example of salvaging a beer that did not turn out the way you wanted. That way you are providing something for others to consume, but also getting honest feedback on a beer that did not go as planned.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
CDGoin
Recipes 

That's actually a great Idea..

I'll bring mini-keg with drinkable beer, and a few bottles of the recipe in all its "glory".

Because my favorite part of the meeting is the pre-meeting and the consuming

dannylerch Likes This 

Quick Reply