Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > would this work for adding fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
jimmythefoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default would this work for adding fruit?

Would this work to add fruit to my brew rather then transferring it to a secondary. At 3 weeks popping off my blow out tube and stopper on my fermenter and with a long funnel (the funnel end would be below the brew line to minimize splashing) poring in fruit puree or blended fruit and reattaching the stopper/blow off.

it would free up a container. i know it would still be on the trub but with all that i have read on here i now longer fear the trub.

what do you all think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The biggest problem with long primaries and trying to add fruit is beer loss due to there being a lot of tub and sediment you are trying to secondary ferment in the primary. Even adding fruit to the boil is problematic for long primarying. Speaking from experience, for example with a pumpkin ale I tried that on, you have a lot of goop that will make for a difficult racking AND bottling experience. Taking the beer to a secondary or even a tertiary before bottling will help leave that sediment behind.

There's no problem with adding the fruit to primary, but I would then rack to a secondary for a week or so to let all the fruit goop settle out, when that fermentation is complete.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've made some fruit beers and always used a second stage for the fruit, but it seems like it should be OK. Not speaking from experience though.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Quick Reply