Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worth losing a customer over a pack of old yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #51
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Rev2010, you planning on doing the three step starter program for that pack of yeast?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #52
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Nah, the time involved in a 3 step starter simply isn't worth it for me. Actually ordered replacement yeast and the yeast for my next batch from NorthernBrewer and it will arrive next week. Didn't want to chance anything weird on my first faux Pilsner style beer.

Rev.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #53
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I work in a LHBS. How I would handle this is simple. I would tell you to "smack" the smack pack after letting it warm to room temp and see if it inflated in 24 hours. If it inflates you are at max potential of that yeast pack to pitch to a starter. If it doesn't inflate or there is some other issue with "It smells like a container of boiled leeches left in the sun" (Chance of infection) I would offer to replace the yeast pack free of charge or a different yeast pack if I did not have a fresher one or give in store credit.

I am pretty sure those yeast calcs are not accounting for letting the smack pack inflate and as you stated "Wyeast guarantees them for 6 months from the date printed". That is the guarantee that they make for 100 billion yeast cells... or enough for a 1.052 OG, 5 gallon batch...

I get this ALL THE TIME in the store. 99.8% of the time there is ZERO issue...

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #54
Rev2010
Recipes 

Actually, they don't guarantee 100 billion yeast cells, they start with that and openly say in their documentation that viability goes down from the package date.

Rev.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #55
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 320

I know I'm getting in late in the game here, but when I order yeast online I always call ahead and see what the dates are on the packs. If I don't like it, I'll wait for a fresh shipment or go elsewhere. That way you know what you're getting before you place the order.

As for the starter dillema, why not brew a small batch of 1-2 gallons and then use the cake for your 5 gallon batch? That's assuming you have enough ingredients. That way you get more beer and the yeast you need all in one run.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #56
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Nah, the time involved in a 3 step starter simply isn't worth it for me. Actually ordered replacement yeast and the yeast for my next batch from NorthernBrewer and it will arrive next week. Didn't want to chance anything weird on my first faux Pilsner style beer.

Rev.
If you're not brewing until next weekend, then you have plenty of time for the three step starter program. Even with a new pack, you'll want at least one starter (most likely).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #57
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
If you often miss your brew day because your ingredients don't arrive on time then either your scheduling or your expectations may be too aggresive.
With all due respect, this doesn't happen often but if I place an order on a Friday or Saturday (times which their shipping dept is working) I don't see why it would take to Tuesday evening to ship my order which then wouldn't arrive till Monday of the following week when the company is only six states away. Maybe you think I'm some kind of whining baby but please understand when one orders from other places way farther away, like California which is the opposite side of the country, through another company and the order gets to me in less than a business week via the same shipping method you kind of become accustomed to a certain status quo. It's not UPS, if the company takes 2-3 business days to ship an order that leads to a variable that even one day can shift everything around. The other company this post is about gets my orders to me in *three* days from the day I ordered. A big improvement because they ship no later than the day after I order.

Rev.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #58
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

No disrespect intended. I took it from your original post that this was happening frequently.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #59
whitehause
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

To the original question.....

Being in the retail business myself, I would say the retailer was ok with what he shipped you per the manufacturer specifications, BUT.... If the customer called with a concern over the older date on the pack, i would have offered to send a new fresher pack.
Is $3.00 or $4.00(retail cost) worth losing a potential new customer? Absolutely not. A simple " I'm sorry you weren't happy, I'll send another one out asap. If there is anything else we can do , let us know", (and a few bucks shipping), will help make a customer for life. The other side of the coin is this what's happening right here. In these tight economic times, you can't afford to lose a customer over literally a couple bucks.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
Rev2010 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #60
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Rev2010, Can I send you some free yeast? PM me an address and which strains you usually use. I am here to help.

Forrest

Quick Reply