Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wort chilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

My new trick this summer is filling/aerating/chilling the carboy all at once. My aquarium pump/diffusion stone sits at the bottom of the carboy as the ~80*F "chilled" wort is pumped into the carboy through a siphon sprayer. I sink the entire thing in a rope-handled tub filled with approximately 60 lbs of ice (free, banked up from a few days' worth of output from my very productive home ice maker) and frozen water bottles. As the carboy fills, it sinks into the freezing cold water. Once all the wort is in the carboy, I let it sit for about 10 minutes to ensure my aeration system has delivered the most it possibly can to the wort -- all the while the wort is still on ice. I then remove the carboy, dry it, tape on an insulated digital probe thermometer, and drop it in a 50*F chest freezer. While my tap water is around 80*F, this technique lets me pitch as soon as aeration is finished, and the carboy stabilizes at 70*F (which is a decent enough pitch temp for me). Within an hour my chest freezer pulls the temp down to 65*F and it's off to the races...

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
ThatFishGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What i did, instead of building a separate pre-chiller, you can simply feed your chiller (if you have one) from a bucket filled with ice water. You just need a little aquarium pump that has a nozzle that fits to one end of the hose that feeds the chiller. Just have the water cycling to your chiller and then back into the bucket. You might have to add a little ice as you go but it works really well and you can even use it this method indoors.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy
What i did, instead of building a separate pre-chiller, you can simply feed your chiller (if you have one) from a bucket filled with ice water. You just need a little aquarium pump that has a nozzle that fits to one end of the hose that feeds the chiller. Just have the water cycling to your chiller and then back into the bucket. You might have to add a little ice as you go but it works really well and you can even use it this method indoors.
This is one of my next projects. Shouldn't be too hard to build.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman View Post
Aside from using a wort chiller or placing the boil kettle into ice baths, has anyone used something like half-gallon milk jugs, washed, filled with water, frozen, sanitized, then put right into the wort to cool it down? I'm struggling with cooling down the wort with tap water that's over 80 degrees here in sunny Orlando in the summer, and placing the kettle in a tub of water with ice gets the ice melted quicker than the wort can cool. Good idea/bad idea?
Fill a 5gal. pail with ice and water and use a small pond/fountain pump to circulate works well and saves water...............my.02

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

sanitized coke bottles frozen, in a water bath.........works for me........

how quicke does the "chiller guys" wort cool down?

Quick Reply