Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wort boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
penguin69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort boil?

So in the direction for my Brewers Best kit it says to boil 3 gallons of water for the wort. My question is since I have a 30 quart pot can I boil more water for the wort so that I have less water to add at the end before fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin69 View Post
So in the direction for my Brewers Best kit it says to boil 3 gallons of water for the wort. My question is since I have a 30 quart pot can I boil more water for the wort so that I have less water to add at the end before fermenting?
Yes, absolutely! Boil as much as you can, and the beer will be better for it.

Keep in mind that you need a decent burner (some stoves can't boil more than about 3 gallons) as well as a way to chill more wort. An ice bath still should work great, but it takes longer to chill 4 gallons of wort than 2.5 gallons!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Seems like it. I think most of the recipes assume that one would not have a large enough kettle allowing for potential boli overs.

However, I follow that measurement and stick the rest of the water in the freezer while brewing. After the wort chiller I transfer to the bottling bucket or carboy and add the rest of the chilled water. That drops the temp significantly without much fuss and usually is perfect for pitching the yeast.

....just add water.....

Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
penguin69
Recipes 

Thanks. I have a propane burner to boil with. Should be fine to boil more water. Forgot about the extra time needed to cool. I guess I will experiment and what works best.

Quick Reply