Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #81
Bopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Holy zombie thread batman!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #82
aerod1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

WOW!! I'm proud of our LHBS in Richardson TX. It is Homebrew Headquarters and they are the nicest, most helpful, friendliest LHBS on the planet!!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #83
itsbeeryo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A new LHBS opened this year < 5 miles away from me and the owner is so happy to be in the business of home brewing I just feel like sitting and finishing off his kegs he's eager to let you sample. (free beer, why not) But really, I feel like it's a home away from home anytime I go. I guess some of us are fortunate. (PLUG www.homebrewprovisions.com)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #84
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerod1 View Post
WOW!! I'm proud of our LHBS in Richardson TX. It is Homebrew Headquarters and they are the nicest, most helpful, friendliest LHBS on the planet!!
I'm glad to hear that. I'm very close to the other two HBS in DFW -- Foreman's and the Winemaker's Shop in Fort Worth. Unfortunately neither have a great grain selection, although Foreman's is really cheap for all the basics.

I'm in need of a new store to purchase from that has a great selection. I used to pick up orders from AHS when I went down to Austin but they have quickly gone from very good in my book to inexcusably terrible and I refuse to patronize them anymore.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #85
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Thankfully every time I have went to my LHBS (Brew Your Own Brew in Gilbert, AZ) everyone has been extremely helpful. I'm still a noob who has only done 4 batches, but both of the guys in the shop I go to have been extremely helpful. They may have more employees, but I've only seen the two guys. They offer sound advice when I have questions and never try to upsell me unless it's an answer to a question I have.

As a matter of fact, when I went in the first time to buy my kit one of the guys took me to the back (no homo) and showed me the trick with fermenting in a bucket of water with a shirt draped over top of it.

Nothing but praise for the shop.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

LaurieGator Likes This 
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #86
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok, since this has taken a positive turn, I have to give major props to Brewer's Warehouse and Brew Depot, our two local (to Atlanta) suppliers.
Both are very helpful. Brew Depot is a huge store with large selection, and the other one has a super website. Both stores have employees that will freely offer advice, and you can tell they love the hobby. Brewer's Warehouse helped us out with a grain buy, and the prices were so low I couldn't pass up on two bags of grain.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #87
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
I noticed something about these LHBS . All of them think that the way THEY do things is the only way to do it. I wrote a post similar to this a few months ago. I like the owner of my LHBS hes a nice guy not really nice but hes a little snobby with the way he brews. I think its because hes real old school. He doesn't believe in a long primary and no secondary and we all know that that secondary thing has been debunked.

The problem was when I asked him if I can just leave it in primary a little longer he looked at me like I was crazy and shook his head.

I went back to get somethings to brew a hefeweizen. I read on here about puting fruit in beer. When I asked him if I can put fruit in beer then he was like "No WAY! thats disgusting!" I know its the yeast that does all the bannana and clove flavor but I read that its ok to put fruit in beer. Then there is the plastic carboy thing. He said I can never use plastic to ferment in because it can possibly melt the plastic and your beer will taste like crap etc. Then he tried to sell me his glass carboys...

I understand everyone has there own opinions but don't treat me like im crazy because I have some ideas and don't brew the "old school" way. He's a nice guy just not very welcoming to new brewers. I think its because he thinks hes more elite then everone else. Not to mention his shop is really dusty and dirty and there is crap everywhere... kinda looks like my basement.

All in all I came to the conclussion these guys think they are better then everyone else because they have been doing it for such a long time. I goto him for specific things I don't want to order online and thats it.
Yeah, I've noticed this too. The guys at my LHBS are really nice and knowledgeable. But, I find a lot more expertise on here. Granted we have the benefit of hundreds of several hundred collective brains... I would just assume that if you owned or worked at a homebrew shop, you would reading this site to keep up with the latest info.

I also think that LHBSs are used to dealing with lots of people who come in to buy their first and only kit.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #88
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
Yeah, I've noticed this too. The guys at my LHBS are really nice and knowledgeable. But, I find a lot more expertise on here. Granted we have the benefit of hundreds of several hundred collective brains... I would just assume that if you owned or worked at a homebrew shop, you would reading this site to keep up with the latest info.

I also think that LHBSs are used to dealing with lots of people who come in to buy their first and only kit.
I think you are right about the first timers. Still, if you love the hobby, you'd never tire of the opportunity to initiate someone and help them catch the spirit.
I introduced one of my good football buddies to brewing. I still remember him calling me late one night with 'no fermentation yet' woes. Years later, he has passed me up in his brewing skills. I would love to have many similar success stories. And get paid for it? Awesome.
As for the forums, again agreed. This site would be linked on my browser toolbar.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #89
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wow, some of these stories would drive me to buy everything online, even bulk grain with the high shipping costs!

My LHBS has been great. While a little pricey here and there they are always willing to talk through a recipe or technique. Even told me after going all grain that if I buy my grain online they would be happy to crush them for free.

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #90
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerod1 View Post
They were pretty rude to me the first time I went there. EVERY (3 that i've been to when i lived in California) shop i've been to has had some premade kits to choose from, or at least suggested recipes that they can easily put together. I was asking if they did and got very cold responses about how I should know what I want to make before going there and the guy just handed me a book or recipes and said I can use that and then tell him what I want. Then gave me grief because I didn't have a container for the malt.

I went back a second time to get what I needed to brew a batch of Graff and that went a lot easier because I just handed one of them a list, this guy was a lot friendlier (although he thought the cider idea with malt was odd). Although it looks like they were expecting me to build and weigh all my own grain bill? Are they there just to ring me up, he acted like it was a inconvenience to put together the grail bill? That was last year, I haven't been back yet, I just recently ordered from AHS and that worked great.

Last edited by knotquiteawake; 08-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply