Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
jpsloan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You're right in that the greatest tragedy is for newcomers to the hobby accidentally getting stomped on by this guy. It could easily put someone right out of ever doing anything remotely connected to homebrewing again, and that would be absolutely criminal!

I just visited my LHBS last Friday. It was nerve-wracking for me, as I was alone, and in a town I had never been in before. Thankfully the staff there was so incredibly accommodating and friendly that I was three times as excited to get my batch going on the drive home! It's just that easy to make someone feel really good about brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

gonzo, add your story to that list!

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Smokier Smoked Porter

Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
davy

Recipes 

i agree what an asshole. he deserves to lose any business for treating local customers that way. and did he get bad reviews from the other link you posted.

here is a link for stores in america hope it helps. also honey is 100% fermentable and leaves no residual sweetness unless of course you make a beer so strong that the yeast poops out before fermenting all the malt then it would sweet. post the recipe for review people on here are always willing to critique unlike that asshole.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, i now feel real lucky to have the guy I have here in town.

I think sometimes my LHBS owner likes to do things the easy way ie. why would you infusion mash when you can just do a single temp mash- that frustrates me some but he is always willing to help and offer advice if you ask.

To bad Kirks home brew here in lincoln is not a mail order or i would tell you contact him. I bet he would ship though, and his prices are the same as any of the others i have seen on the net.

No i am not kirk...lol, just a loyal customer who he treats fairly.

Reverend

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #15
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Reading that makes me grateful that I have two very helpful LHBS's that I frequent, although one is a bit of a roadtrip...........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #16
miafunk2003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

damn what a funny coincidence me and my microbiology teacher were talking today and he was telling me about this same guy but we live in miami so he mail orders and he was telling me how much of a prick he is but he has great prices and fresh stuff... look up opinions about his store and u will find that everyone hates this guy but they keep going back because of a great products and good prices

Old 11-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Simply amazed at that story. My LHBS is TOO helpful! Sometimes I just want to browse, but they're always interested in helping me. I tend not to go there because of their limited selection and poor grain storage methods, but I can't knock their enthusiasm!

Your story reminds me of the FBO at the local airport. The owner of the place won't even give you the time of day (literally!) if you aren't paying for gas. He'll even swipe one of the lounge area magazines right out of your hand if you haven't paid him for anything. If you are unfortunate enough to need fuel, he charges $5.00 a gallon (about $2.00 more than any other airport around) for AvGas. Everyone I know avoids him like the plague, and they'll actually fly over an hour out of their way just to buy their fuel somewhere else.

Some people...

Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #18
Gangsta RIB
Recipes 

Wow!! This is bull****. The entire point of having a LHBS is to help people with their brews and achieve their desired tastes. The entire home brew community is supposed to be a friendly group of individuals willing to help. Screw hearts! Anyone else know of another LHBS in the Orlando area?

Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 AM   #19
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, horrible and rude service like that is unacceptable to me. I would simply never go back, even if it was the only HBS for miles around.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #20
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Kind of Like Seinfeld....

Any of you remember an episode of Seinfeld with the Soup-Nazi?

He's the Homebrew Nazi.

"No Hops for you!!! .... Go to the end of the line.... What did you say? Get Out!!!!"

Everybody goes there because he has the best soup in NYC.

Somebody should email him the link with all of the complaints from his customers. Nobody in their right mind would want to piss customers off unless they are wealthy and get their jollies pissing people off. Maybe the only way to get respect from this is to be just as rude back to stupid a$$.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply