New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #171
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll come into the LHBS store and see people literally just hanging out, talking beer, coming up with ideas with the owner, etc.

Never understood LHBS stores where the owner and employees are ****ty. It's like "why bother doing this in the first place?"

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #172
Daren_Z
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I've had an experience kind of similar to this at one of my LHBS's. I screwed up my first real batch of beer (actual first was a beer in a bag) and decided to go in and ask what I did wrong and see if I could correct it while picking up supplies for my next batch. I fully realized that I made a stupid mistake and that I should have done more research beforehand, but the owner told me I couldn't save it (which was true) and suggested that I go back to beer the beer in a bad kind of brewing.

Now every time I go back the guy is extremely condescending towards me. I've tried a few things, made a couple of pretty successful beers, but this guy refuses to think I may have improved.

It's a shame, the store has good products and selection and the rest of the staff at that store are great. So I still support other locations, and there is another LHBS store that I frequent more often who have been more helpful, but don't carry as much supplies.

I'm planning on entering some competitions this coming summer — I'll need something to beat his brews.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #173
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I think a lot of it boils down to these owners, who've brewed probably most of their lives, feel like they're geniuses of their trade, and that everyone else is just a dumbass. It's this sense of being better than everyone else simply because you may or may not be able to brew better beer, and own better supplies.

It's almost like a class system. "Oh you're an extract brewer. Your beer will be complete ****. I own my own shop and do all-grain perfectly. You're not even worth helping"

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #174
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Complain to the local BBB chapter in your area.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #175
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Driving from Melbourne to Macon, back in early 2010, I had a pretty good experience at Hearts. I explained my difficulties with my first two brews, particularly my mishandling siphoning a 60-minute IPA. Was directed to and bought a funnel with screen and a pail top opener [both still well appreciated tools]. They also had a surprisingly good craft brew selection at good prices. I thought I was treated politely. It might have helped that I'm a grey beard.

OTOH, neither SWMBO nor I believe Hearts could have passed a food health inspection.

Drinking: Redhook ESB; Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter.
Bottled: AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious (first taste 20 April 2014).
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #176
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
Complain to the local BBB chapter in your area.
That won't get anything done. It's a homebrew store. Consider it a convenience store.

That guy doesn't give 2 craps about BBB certifications, seals, etc. You'd be amazed at how ineffective the BBB really is. I've had cable companies illegally bait-n-switch me, and called them on it with BBB, and the company refused to even answer me. Luckily I hadn't paid into anything when it happened, so I didn't lose anything.

Think about it -- when's the last time you went to order homebrew ingredients and actually checked out the BBB rating of the retailer? Never.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #177
smartass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is why other homebrew supply shops are popping up everywhere, it is getting more competitive due to price and support or lack of. My hbs in wichita has always been supportive and i try to suport them as much as i can but thier grain prices are killing me, so i buy grain from the other hbs that has no support. I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #178
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I am from Orlando, went to his store 2 weeks ago and got similar treatment.

However, after talking with him I realized that he just gets tired of answering newbie questions. The guy has been in business for 30 years. Thats like 20 years before the internet and he was brewing at a time before most people even thought you could. He actually is no different than the OCD anal jerks on this very forum. He is the kind of person that knows the process but scorns newbies for asking dumb questions.

However, I work with difficult people, and after getting past the initial comments, I began to laugh and questioned his seriousness and irritibility. I even made him crack a smile because I was asking about how many times does he get customers come in who think they are experts.

All in all... it beats paying for shipping.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #179
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I know exactly what you mean by this. My LHBS is sort of like this, except way less bad. They can get irritated, but for the most part, will be helpful as long as you at least know a decent amount about brewing.

Talking about what you're brewing, how you're gonna brew it, interesting methodologies, etc, tends to help and spark discussion and usually will result in a positive experience. Prices are kinda **** though, but you can't beat fresh yeast and cheap bulk 2 row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
I am from Orlando, went to his store 2 weeks ago and got similar treatment.

However, after talking with him I realized that he just gets tired of answering newbie questions. The guy has been in business for 30 years. Thats like 20 years before the internet and he was brewing at a time before most people even thought you could. He actually is no different than the OCD anal jerks on this very forum. He is the kind of person that knows the process but scorns newbies for asking dumb questions.

However, I work with difficult people, and after getting past the initial comments, I began to laugh and questioned his seriousness and irritibility. I even made him crack a smile because I was asking about how many times does he get customers come in who think they are experts.

All in all... it beats paying for shipping.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #180
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3183 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Damn. I can't get left alone in my LHBSs. I walk in the door and it's, How can I help you?, You know what you want?, What'er you makin?, How? Ever try this?, Check this out...

Stuff and things.

Quick Reply