Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #161
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Hey guys just found this post. I'm just starting out and went to this guy and he was not very helpful at all. I had to stand there and stare at him grinding his product until he finally asked me what I wanted. I tried to make a friendly conversation with him, to no avail. While waiting my wife finally said I'll wait in the car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #162
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskooler View Post
Hey guys just found this post. I'm just starting out and went to this guy and he was not very helpful at all. I had to stand there and stare at him grinding his product until he finally asked me what I wanted. I tried to make a friendly conversation with him, to no avail. While waiting my wife finally said I'll wait in the car.
Wow! She abandoned you flat!
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #163
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Wait a minute....this same guy is still in business 6 years after this thread started???

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #164
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It appears so. I know it was the same business, and the attitude appears to be the same, so perhaps even the same guy.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #165
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Malweth, Greyhound we were neighbors. I'm originally from New Bedford and now in FLA.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #166
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I hate to say it, but I've had worse experiences. I stopped by a place in Nashville and the owner was smoking in a a back room and the entire shop smelled like an ash tray. He finally came out from the back room and I asked him if he had a few items in stock and he flat out told me "we don't carry that stuff because no one buys it". Said items I was looking for was US05 yeast, muslin bags and a pound of DME. Any 'homebrew' shop that doesn't stock the basics has no reason to even be around.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #167
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I hate to say it, but I've had worse experiences. I stopped by a place in Nashville and the owner was smoking in a a back room and the entire shop smelled like an ash tray. He finally came out from the back room and I asked him if he had a few items in stock and he flat out told me "we don't carry that stuff because no one buys it". Said items I was looking for was US05 yeast, muslin bags and a pound of DME. Any 'homebrew' shop that doesn't stock the basics has no reason to even be around.
Hah, that's ridiculous. What's the name of the place? It sure as hell isn't Rebel Brewer (though theyre really located in Goodlettsville anyways).

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #168
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nah, Rebel is awesome. It was Lil Ole Winemaker on Charlotte Pike. It's 5 minutes from my house, so I figured it be useful for last minute essentials, but I was wrong.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #169
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I stopped at one of 3 LHBS to get an all grain recipe to BIAB. I asked the guy to crush it a little more fine to which he responded the owner won't let me touch the mill. I say ok no biggie, just run it through twice. His response was nope, owner won't let me do that either. I asked why and he just said Mr. XXXX's rule, no idea why. I should have turned around and walked out but really didn't feel like driving 30 minutes to another shop as I was brewing that day. Needless to say I haven't been back as the other two shops will crush as fine as I'd like.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #170
toolman
Recipes 

Default My story with these guys...

It's hilarious to me that I discovered this post. I rarely have time to browse the posts here and don't know why I clicked on this one, but I have a lot of experience with this establishment....

These guys are truly pricks and it's amazing they are still in business!!!

(Thankfully, I just moved to Los Angeles and have found 2 great LHBS stores! So, I no longer rely on their "Customer NO SERVICE" approach)

Hearts has been in Orlando since I was an underage fan of beer in the late 80's. and they also sell beer - bought my first Newcastle from them when grocery stores only had the usual offerings....

I began homebrewing 7 years ago and, as the original post states, Hearts is the only supplier in town. So, I bought my original kit from them and my very first experience was pretty damn frustrating. They could not have been less interested in providing any guidance about ANYTHING, much less a friendly exchange of "whatcha planning to brew?".

The store was literally 5 minutes from my house. Their prices are, in fact, very competitive, and shipping liquid yeast to Orlando doesn't make sense if it's available 5 minutes away, so I ashamedly continued to patronize them, but ONLY FOR the ingredients as their selection of equipment leaves a lot to be desired. I let my fingers do the walking for hardware purchases immediately after my 1st purchase with them.

I had been telling my wife how bad they two owners are and she thought I was exaggerating. So, one day I took her into the shop with me and she was blown away by how rude and curt they are with their customers. And she was equally surprised they had so many customers given what I have told her and war she witnessed.

Someone in Orlando with solid business acumen could & should take a run at these guys. The thought crossed my mind several times but the schedule never allowed it.

I realize this is not the most profound or detailed "pile on" post but I felt compelled to share my story.

I am thrilled to no longer need these jerks in my brew life....

-Tim

Quick Reply