*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #101
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Thankfully every time I have went to my LHBS (Brew Your Own Brew in Gilbert, AZ) everyone has been extremely helpful. I'm still a noob who has only done 4 batches, but both of the guys in the shop I go to have been extremely helpful. They may have more employees, but I've only seen the two guys. They offer sound advice when I have questions and never try to upsell me unless it's an answer to a question I have.

As a matter of fact, when I went in the first time to buy my kit one of the guys took me to the back (no homo) and showed me the trick with fermenting in a bucket of water with a shirt draped over top of it.

Nothing but praise for the shop.
Are these the same guys that don't stock PBW and when asked what they use for cleaning they reply "I just use dish soap"?

On another topic: dfc, I just moved to the area in June, currently live in an Apt. and have brewed once at my friend's house in Gilbert. We should hook up for a beer or brewday sometime. PM me if your interested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #102
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
From your first line. I read that you came in with an asshole's attitude. Hard to tell through text only for sure thou. Likely got what you deserved.
You should apply for a job there, you'd fit right in.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #103
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
From your first line. I read that you came in with an asshole's attitude. Hard to tell through text only for sure thou. Likely got what you deserved.
Seriously, dude?

Let's review the original post, shall we?

Quote:
I've just returned home from the worst LHBS experience of my life. I am so upset I had to calm myself down for 10 minutes before writing this. NEVER in my life have I been treated so callously by any store owner. I will give a brief description now of what happened.

I live in Orlando and Heartshomebrew.com (my LHBS) is the only LHBS one I know of around here. I've been in there about 10 times and the man knows my face I'm sure of it. Today I walked into the store and here went my conversation with the owner.

Me: "Hey buddy I'd like to talk to you about your Brown Ale recipe"

Owner: "OK"

Me: "I wanted to kick it up a notch and add a pound of honey. What do you
think?"

Owner: "I think it will be too sweet"

Me: "Yea I thought I would add some more hops to balance this out. Do you think that would work?"

Owner: "You have to look that kind of stuff up on your own. We dont give recipe advice here."

Me: "Isn't that what these stores are supposed to be all about, helping your customers brew beer?"

Owner: "We are mostly mail order so we don't care about local business."

Me: "Are you saying you dont care about making your customers happy and helping them out"

Owner: "Our local ones, nope. Thats not the kind of business we're in."

Me: "Well buddy you just lost a local one."

Owner: "Ok see ya"

I will stop here because anyone reading this should at this point be as flabbergasted as I am. I've never once in my LIFE heard a store owner say he didnt care about his local customers. This place is set up for retail for sure. Its not like I was walking into a garage were he just ships his supplies out from.
Not sure what you're pretending to see in there that would indicate he's walking in there with an attitude. Leads me to conclude you're either a troll or an asshole, which I guess is pretty much one and the same.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
SwampassJ Likes This 
Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #104
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Haha actually if you read it with "Me" having an angry voice tone, and "Owner" with a defensive tone of voice it can come across that way

( Modified Version with some characterizations for fun )

Me: Hey buddy I'd like to talk to you about your "Brown Ale recipe"

Owner: ...ok.

Me: I wanted to kick it up a notch and add a pound of honey. What do you
think? (say it like a douche would)

Owner: I don't know...I think it will be too sweet.

Me: Yea? I thought I would add some more hops to balance this out. (meaning screw your recipe it needs a fix) Do you think that would work? (leans into the guy)

Owner: (Guy looks nervously) ...uh...You have to look that kind of stuff up on your own. We...we dont give recipe advice here.

Me: "Isn't that what these stores are supposed to be all about, helping your customers brew beer?"

Owner: (Guy looks even more nervous and defensive) We are mostly mail order so we don't care about local business. (takes a defensive stab at the guy with "local business")

Me: Are you saying you don't care about making your customers happy and helping them out?

Owner: Our local ones, nope. Thats not the kind of business we're in. (could be defensive here, but really anyone who says this is a jerk)

Me: Well buddy you just lost a local one. (puts hands on hips and shakes head side to side)

Owner: ...Ok see ya... (nervous, and shocked at the assailant)

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #105
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Word said, the bird! Some people in LHBS get into this business for a coolness factor.

Some owners don't have much experience, whereas as you may have more or just like to obsess over the details. They care not to do so. I am an engineer and a details kind of guy. I can see how people could go into overload quickly with anything that challenges them. I see it all the time, some people are lazy when it comes to thinking out of their element.

People react differently to mental challenges. Forgo the aggravation, post questions on recipe advice to your friends on HBT.

I look forward to the day Walmart is selling homebrew equipment. Even if they don't know squat about HB, they will help you find ingredients. I'd like to go to a counter like the deli and ask for a pound of crystal 40L.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #106
phishfood
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Heart's has never been outright rude and dismissive with me, but never have they been what I would call friendly, either.

If I really needed something, I might stop by there on my way home from work. But if I can, I will drive the 45 minutes to New Smyrna to buy from Southern Homebrew. Their prices seem to be a little higher, they don't seem as knowledgeable, but they are very friendly and glad to see you in the store.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #107
WrathsU
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bump. Went in there (first ever experience buying brewing equipment) about two weeks ago with my swmbo and her parents. They were buying me stuff for Christmas. I had a kit ordered already but wanted a recipe so I could start brewing asap. I had no idea what I was doing and asked the guy "What recipe is the best?", with a nice smile on my face.

"They are all good.", came his reply. Okay..."Which one do you recommend?", "Whichever one you want to buy." . LOL really guy? I randomly selected three recipes and will never be buying from there again regardless of prices. I will also be creating a wiki page in the near future that I will try to bump to top of google searches when searching for "Hearts homebrew". People like this do not deserve to own a business imo.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #108
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

This is definetly an interesting thread!

I just recently bought my first kit. I looked on the internet for 6 months at the different sites and found good deals. I accidently found our LHBS here in Charlotte, Alternative Brewing, and looked at their stuff. They had kits like everyone else has at about the same prices. I actually found a kit I really liked at morebeer.com but I kept going back and forth with the fact that I should buy locally if I can.

I'm so glad I did! When I went to the store, the guys there were awesome! They helped me put together the kit that I wanted. By going to them directly, I was able to get a few things that weren't part of a kit and get a better setup that I wouldn't have got if I would have ordered online. Plus they were able to give me some discounts that I would not have got online. I finally got a better kit here locally than I would have got had I went with the online site. Plus, now when I need some advice or help, they seem to be very responsive and willing to help.

With all that being said, if I would have been treated like the OP was, I would have gone somewhere else. People like that don't need my business and won't get it. I don't care how good their prices are. There are too many options for us today with the internet, that we can buy where we want to buy.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #109
tjp68

Recipes 

I've never had an experience like that at a LHBS. I have two within reasonable distance. At one, the owners are incredibly friendly, helpful and encouraging. I don't get there often because they have very limited inventory, and because the are 75 miles away.

The other is a larger store with more inventory, is much closer to my home and on the way home from work. The people who work there aren't necessarily rude, but definitely detached. I would say they have been distracted when I've visited there, money in hand, ready to buy. I get the feeling that they really exist to serve a brewing club and aren't really interested if you aren't part of the group.

For a long time, I felt guilty about buying on the interwebs, but no more. It's a competitive world.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #110
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your LHBS appreciate your custom, you should support them...dunno what america's like (well, i sorta do, i'm reading America Unchained by Dave Gorman) but our chain stores are getting worse and the small places are suffering, and what's home brewing about except to make beer, drink beer and have a good time with friends?

Quick Reply