Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #521
Chase22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

keystone ice. goddamn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #522
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to agree with the people who have pointed out some of my lest favorite beers:
Leinenkugels Summer Shandy- I think its horrible but the wife loved it.
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat- Wife and I both thought it tastted like cough syrup.

Then the other day I tried Blue Moons Spring seasonal brew, ugh! I love Blue Moon but at first this one was horrible, never really got better and I dont think I actually even managed to finish it, wife even thought it was horrible as well.

Let us know what you end up taking and what the winner/loser is.

Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #523
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Hopefully this isn't off-topic as it wasn't the "worst" craft beer, but I had Full Sail's Bump In the Night yesterday and it was one of the most confusing beers I've had in a while.

Itsbilled as a Cascadian Dark Ale (~ American Black IPA), but it comes across like they brewed another style, didn't like the results, then just dry-hopped to cover it up and threw it on the market as a Black IPA. It's pretty malty and oddly boozy for 6.5 ABV.

Anyone else had this beer?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #524
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Samichlaus, had been beer connoisseuring for years and was well familiar with the style, but hated it. Two three sips and down the drain it went. It's been a lot of years now but from what I can vaguely remember it tasted like prune juice with a lot of alcohol mixed in.

Also,
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - tasted nothing like a pumpkin! The one's I bought tasted literally like dust, chalky dust!

Rev.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #525
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow, I can't believe Samichlaus got thrown under the bus. I love that beer. Incredibly complex and a wonderful winter warmer. There is a prune flavor there but that's just one component of the flavor profile. I get a 6 pack every December.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #526
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
Wow, I can't believe Samichlaus got thrown under the bus. I love that beer. Incredibly complex and a wonderful winter warmer. There is a prune flavor there but that's just one component of the flavor profile. I get a 6 pack every December.
Yep, but the one I had was awful, absolutely terrible. I know it's rated really highly so I should probably try one again. I got it at a really nice beer distributor in Brooklyn NY, where I used to live. They had between 500-1000 different beers but since most typical Brooklynites in that area probably aren't familiar with good beer theres a damn good chance it was sitting there for a very very long time. But with it's high alcohol content and high OG I'd think it should age fine. One of my other favorites for a long time was Fuller's Vintage. Not sure if they're still making those today though as I haven't seen them in years.

Rev.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #527
dvdanny
Recipes 

Hands down, Pyramid Apricot Ale, tried it before and after they changed the name to "Audacious" either way it was just crap, people diss Sam Adam's Blackberry Wit, Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat but I can at least finish a bottle of those, not "Audacious". That beer turned me off to fruit beers until I discovered lambics.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #528
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Never had Fullers Vintage. Samichlaus actually gets better with age but it is possible that it was not stored properly.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #529
Suex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's funny, my sister worked a summer in Australia, and the Aussies don't drink fosters either. Kinda like most canadians don't drink labatts blue, seriously we don't, it's a far cry from a good pilsner.

Worst beer as of late? Majic hat number 9...... God, it tastes like fermented mushroom juice.... Just plain gross....

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #530
Goblism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I might get slammed here, but the only two beers I couldn't finish were Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Boulevard Lunar Ale. I don't know what purple should taste like, but I am pretty sure Boulevard Lunar Ale is what it would taste like.

I have an honorable mention to include, don't remember what the exact beer was, but it was made by Gluek. A buddy picked up 4-5 case of it because it was $8/case. I think even when I was drunk I had a hard time putting that stuff down.

Last edited by Goblism; 02-17-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply