Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my favorite beers are hopped up IPAs or IIPAs, belgians, sours, etc., but i'm known to slam corona on vacation (really, is there anything better than a corona on vacation)??

that being said; worst beer = stella. i don't get it.

Agreed. Coronas without a lime are tough... but throw a lime in there and I won't drink anything else on a beach.

.....except maybe a fruity drink with an umbrella and curly straw...

The worst beer I've ever had was called Pliny the Elder. Its tasted like onions boiled in beaver pee. The other worst beer I've ever had was cabernet sauvignon.

Anyone tried leinkuegals coastal wheat? Not saying it's a bad beer but defientley different from all wheats Ive had. It literally tastest like a bowl of Fruity pebbels cereal.

I'm going to assume no one here has had Shiner Smokehaus, other wise this debate would have ended about 104 pages ago. By all means, THE WORST BEER I'VE EVER TASTED!!!!! Took 2 sips before I dumped everything!

I'd drink two tall Steelies right now before I *ever* put my lips to a Victory Golden Monkey again. At least the talls would only be 99c apiece and wouldn't aspire to something far above their station. The Golden Monkey is the most ripped off I've ever felt buying craft beer; it's also the worst American "Belgian-style" beer I've ever had. I had two out of a six pack and dropped the rest off at the next party I went to. Just terrible.

Anyone who votes for something other than steel reserve is someone who hasn't had steel reserve. Nattie light is pretty rough too, but it pales in comparison to steel reserve.

Edited to say: while golden monkey wasn't the greatest you are crazy if you'd rather have a steel reserve!

Them's my blue-collar roots, son. I will also unflinchingly order a High Life longneck at any dive bar that stocks 'em.

Anyone who votes for something other than steel reserve is someone who hasn't had steel reserve. Nattie light is pretty rough too, but it pales in comparison to steel reserve.

Can't be worse than Staropramen Dark. No way.

slothorentropy said:
Them's my blue-collar roots, son. I will also unflinchingly order a High Life longneck at any dive bar that stocks 'em.

I too have a soft spot for high life. Steel reserve is a far cry from high life, it is hardly recognizable as beer IMO.

You guys can dog the Steelie all you want, how many of your favorites have jingles written by the Ramones

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume no one here has had Shiner Smokehaus, other wise this debate would have ended about 104 pages ago. By all means, THE WORST BEER I'VE EVER TASTED!!!!! Took 2 sips before I dumped everything!

I almost put that beer on here before I did 2 things with it.
(1) Drank it with BBQ.
(2) Made dog treats out of it. These actually tasted so good, I would eat some while training the dogs.

downwardzspiral said:

Yeah, I had a hard time enjoying those. Bought a 12 pack and pretty much forced myself to drink 'em....had them in the summer with BBQ, the way they were intended - still didn't do it. This is the only Shiner beer that's let me down so far. No to mesquite flavored beer.

Must be spoiled by flavor rich dark ales- Had a yuengling about five mim. ago, couple of sips and I left it on the table when we left

The worst commercial beer I've ever had is Coors.

I tasted it one time and I got this old rice taste. Old rotten rice. Imagine eating chinese white rice and then throwing that up in your mouth. Hold the throw up in your mouth for 10 seconds. Taste the rice puke with your tongue. Spit it out. Now you know how Coors tastes to me.

My dad likes that nonsense, but I stay as far away from that as humanly possible.

Butternuts snapper head, paid 8 or 9 bucks for a sixer. Drank half the can poured and poured it out.

Sure there are worse beers, but price per oz of awful, this takes the cake.

Wow, no love here for the butternuts. I'm nit saying theyre phenomenal, but far from the worst. To each his own I guess

Leinenkugal Sunset Wheat.

I bought Leinenkugal variety pack a few years ago. I didn't much care for anything in it, but the Sunset Wheat was so bad I didn't even want to cook with it.

What a horrible, horrible beer.

CGVT said:
Leinenkugal Sunset Wheat.

I bought Leinenkugal variety pack a few years ago. I didn't much care for anything in it, but the Sunset Wheat was so bad I didn't even want to cook with it.

What a horrible, horrible beer.

I think that's the 1000th person to claim this. I chose this as well.

Too bad we can't vote this beer off the planet.

DarkPhyre said:
smithwicks irish ale.

IMO it takes like if you were to drink the water after boiling bar s hot dogs.

Yes! That was my pick, im glad someone agreed. What's funny is, I waited 15 minutes for the beer guy at Trader Joes to dig in the backroom for it, after he told me it was the best beer he'd ever had. He proudly emerged with it, I took it home, opened a bottle. Took one sip... *no*. Let the wife try it.... "just dump it out" she told me. I've used one bottle in a batch of beer bread so far, but I think the other 4 are sink-bound. I wouldn't even drink this stuff if I was in jail. Pruno is way better ;)

Haputanlas said:
I think that's the 1000th person to claim this. I chose this as well.

Too bad we can't vote this beer off the planet.

ao125 said:
I don't know if Sunset Wheat is more hated than whatever their Berry beer is.

I googled them to see why their beer sucked so bad... you should read the Beer Advocate review on the sunset wheat. They liked it! But its funny as hell to read. The person doing the review said they tasted blueberries and the brewers said "yeah not many people are able to pick that up". Welcome to off-flavors bud.

I googled them to see why their beer sucked so bad... you should read the Beer Advocate review on the sunset wheat. They liked it! But its funny as hell to read. The person doing the review said they tasted blueberries and the brewers said "yeah not many people are able to pick that up". Welcome to off-flavors bud.

I still like my fruity pebbles flavored beer more than anything else Leinies sells.

Back