Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #1751
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1225 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 644

steel reserve, strohs, red dog...

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #1752
RawHyde
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring... Taste like Pine-Sol smells. I thought it would pretty bad.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #1753
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze
steel reserve
You know, there have been a lot of beer to come through this thread over the months... Most of them are like milk and honey compared to Steel Reserve. That is the absolute worst tasting swill on the market, bar none.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #1754
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2696 Times on 1758 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

You know, there have been a lot of beer to come through this thread over the months... Most of them are like milk and honey compared to Steel Reserve. That is the absolute worst tasting swill on the market, bar none.
I've never had steel reserve, but I doubt it, or any other beer in this thread is as bad as Sam Adams Triple Bock. The only way anyone could post any other beer as being the worst is if they haven't had SA Triple Bock. It seriously tastes like a mixture of overly burnt sugar caramelized on a piece of wet cardboard that was used as a dog bed and the dogs laying on it were slathered with soy sauce daily. When this black, still liquid touches your tongue it wraps around it and coats it like some sort of nasty oil. The flavor doesn't go away until alot of scrubbing your tongue and mouth. It is the worst excuse for beer I've ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth. I would drink any other beer over that stuff any day.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #1755
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS

I've never had steel reserve, but I doubt it, or any other beer in this thread is as bad as Sam Adams Triple Bock. The only way anyone could post any other beer as being the worst is if they haven't had SA Triple Bock. It seriously tastes like a mixture of overly burnt sugar caramelized on a piece of wet cardboard that was used as a dog bed and the dogs laying on it were slathered with soy sauce daily. When this black, still liquid touches your tongue it wraps around it and coats it like some sort of nasty oil. The flavor doesn't go away until alot of scrubbing your tongue and mouth. It is the worst excuse for beer I've ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth. I would drink any other beer over that stuff any day.
Lol! I would almost seek it out after a description like that.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #1756
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Worst one I've had today: Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark. $5 a 6 pack? I shoulda known. Still, it's worth about $5 a six pack, except I'd rather not drink the other 5. It's just very watery and it doesn't call me back. Luckily I have a Sierra Nevada porter to erase the horrible void.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #1757
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I'm with you on the triple bock- i split a case with a buddy in 94. we paid 120 bucks for it, and that was the most i could ever imagine paying for beer back then. we drank bottles on and off over the years, and not a one has improved with age- in fact many of the corks dried out and rotted in the bottles- they probably should have been stored on their sides, contrary to sam adam's advice on the side of the bottles. I drank my last one a couple years back and it still sucked. My buddy has 5 bottles left- he is still clinging to the belief that we made a worthy investment and that all those bottles need is a few more years under them.

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #1758
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Thankfully, I didn't pay for my sample of Triple Bock - someone had a bottle at a Utopias brewfest. Completely agree about how horrible it was. A little more "oyster sauce" than "soy sauce," but completely undrinkable. Just pushed the yeast too hard, it seems - but it's hard for me to imagine that the beer would have been all that good even if it was "clean." Probably tied with that "Golden Shower" from Dogfish Head, though - the DFH beer was absolutely vile as well.

EDIT: I bet the Triple Bock would make one helluva marinade, maybe for some beef for a quick stir-fry... but that would be one might expensive marinade!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #1759
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2697

Is there already a thread for cheap or unassuming beers that we enjoy far more than we are expecting?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #1760
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Is there already a thread for cheap or unassuming beers that we enjoy far more than we are expecting?
yes

What beer did you really want to HATE, but it surprised the heck out of you?

and Guilty pleasures

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply