Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #1291
GRBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev
It's still probably better than piss beer, but as far as micros go, I bought a 4 pack of Mad River Double Dread imperial red. It was almost undrinkable. I gave 1 away and have 2 sitting in my fridge, taunting me. There were huge chunks floating in it, and the taste was pretty nasty. I don't remember the specifics, since it was a couple months ago, but it was downright unpleasant. It gets mostly good reviews on beeradvocate, with some bad reviews, so I suppose it's possible they had a bad batch.
Large chumks of stuff?! That has to be an infected batch...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #1292
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. You know, the ones in the clear bottle with the sickly-looking jalapeno at the bottom. I tried one at an "everybody bring a 6-pack of something random" beer party, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. It's like a skunky Corona Light with a bunch of Tabasco sauce in it. I got about 1/4 of the bottle down and dumped the rest in the yard, but my stomach felt horrible the rest of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I had Sam Adams cherry wheat a couple years ago and it tasted pretty good. Last years though was cough syrup. Maybe they changed the recipe?
Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is like that too. Thick, syrupy, and way too sweet IMHO.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #1293
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

For my money, Sam Adams Old Fezziwig is doubly disappointing: not only was it undrinkably unpleasant, I was bummed b/c I'm a Christmas Carol fanatic

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #1294
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had my worst beer ever on my recent visit to SoCal - a 6 pack of Firestone Walker Pale Ale that was an herbal nightmare. I'm guessing a bad batch as the hops were way off (herbal), had zero bitterness, and was extremely watery. Disappointed to say the least. I also had a bomber of their stout (forget the name) and found it to be mediocre. I expected great things from them and left CA with a pretty poor view of their offerings.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #1295
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. You know, the ones in the clear bottle with the sickly-looking jalapeno at the bottom. I tried one at an "everybody bring a 6-pack of something random" beer party, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. It's like a skunky Corona Light with a bunch of Tabasco sauce in it. I got about 1/4 of the bottle down and dumped the rest in the yard, but my stomach felt horrible the rest of the night.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is like that too. Thick, syrupy, and way too sweet IMHO.
Cave Creek...yeah that a sh*tty beer! Un-freakin'-drinkable.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #1296
ilikethetrees
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lost Abbey's Angel's Share Brandy Barrel-Aged. Simply awful. Just spent a ton of money on this and it was completely flat and oxidized up the wazzoo. This one was a big surprise and a real learning experience. It's a damn shame, too. The flavor potential is really there with the dark fruit, rich big-hearted malt and caramel tones, but everything surrounding it is awful. Super boozy, stale, and flat as my tap water. Felt like I had poured myself and my fiance a pint of cheap weak thick brandy.

Might be salvageable as a base for a reduction sauce for some red meat dish, on the up side!

Anyone else try this beer? Super gross!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #1297
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethetrees View Post
Lost Abbey's Angel's Share Brandy Barrel-Aged. Simply awful. Just spent a ton of money on this and it was completely flat and oxidized up the wazzoo. This one was a big surprise and a real learning experience. It's a damn shame, too. The flavor potential is really there with the dark fruit, rich big-hearted malt and caramel tones, but everything surrounding it is awful. Super boozy, stale, and flat as my tap water. Felt like I had poured myself and my fiance a pint of cheap weak thick brandy.

Might be salvageable as a base for a reduction sauce for some red meat dish, on the up side!

Anyone else try this beer? Super gross!
Call or email the brewery and let them know they have some flat beers out there.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 10-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #1298
ilikethetrees
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty sure they know by now. Beeradvocate.com ratings for that version of Angel's Share are rife with statements about the flatness of the beer. Must have been a packaging mishap. The one I had was from 2008, by the way.

Like I said, the flavors were a great idea and individually were quite enjoyable, but something wacky happened along the way.

No disrespect to Lost Abbey. Those guys do a great job all in all.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #1299
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Haven't fished through all 130 pages of this thread - but having just come back from India - I can say with certainty that the worst commercial beer I've had in recent memory is Kingfisher!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #1300
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just want to say again that Shlitz is by far the worst beer ever.

Quick Reply