New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1241
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
I think that's the 1000th person to claim this. I chose this as well.

Too bad we can't vote this beer off the planet.
I have unfortunately tried this and yes, it's the worst IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #1242
garywebb96
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I was a kid we drank some stuff called Orbit. If I remember right it was like 39 cents a 6-pack. Nasty!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #1243
Sparqui
Recipes 

Not sure what company made it, but it was a white can with the word "BEER" stenciled in black on it. I got some nasty hangovers from this stuff in my late teens.

Primary: Starsan
Secondary: Starsan
Bottled: Flughafen ESB
Drinking: Anything I can get opened
On Deck: Raspberry Wit

Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #1244
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Yes! That was my pick, im glad someone agreed. What's funny is, I waited 15 minutes for the beer guy at Trader Joes to dig in the backroom for it, after he told me it was the best beer he'd ever had. He proudly emerged with it, I took it home, opened a bottle. Took one sip... *no*. Let the wife try it.... "just dump it out" she told me. I've used one bottle in a batch of beer bread so far, but I think the other 4 are sink-bound. I wouldn't even drink this stuff if I was in jail. Pruno is way better
That is a funny story.
But, I made a mistake. I guess the beer I was referring to was kellerweis by sierra nevada. We drank both that night and I was confused the next day.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #1245
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhyre

That is a funny story.
But, I made a mistake. I guess the beer I was referring to was kellerweis by sierra nevada. We drank both that night and I was confused the next day.
I had some smithwicks and thought it had an off-taste, soapyish-medicinal note. If we were voting for the worst craft/import/micro beer it just might get my vote. That, or one of those awful import pilsners like heineken, estrella damm, or stella that have that medicinal skunkyish flavor.

Edited to say: still, steel reserve is just undrinkable. It's funny to me how spoiled many are to vote for things like leinenkugel, victory, or even smithwhicks, when there are such god-awful beverages as steel reserve and nattie that are hardly potable let alone recognizable as beer.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #1246
malweth

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Mine had to have been Chloe, one of the named Newport Storm brews. It was a while ago at a party... it was supposed to be a double IPA. Really it was just so bitter I wasn't able to taste any other beer that night... it also made me physically sick.

Perhaps I wasn't used to the double IPA style, but based on the mixed BA reviews, I don't think I was wrong to hate it.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #1247
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2595 Times on 2043 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Edited to say: still, steel reserve is just undrinkable. It's funny to me how spoiled many are to vote for things like leinenkugel, victory, or even smithwhicks, when there are such god-awful beverages as steel reserve and nattie that are hardly potable let alone recognizable as beer.
Its because its for the worst beer we've every "had", and many of us are wise enough to not "have" steely reserve. But I do have a vague dream of someone pouring sweet nail polish remover down my throat...

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #1248
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Okay, new low for me yesterday:
http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=40f052d8-81f6-4a7b-9a38-6806c0eeebff

Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA.

The "fruity pebbles" flavor that everyone complains about from Sunset Wheat and Berry Weiss I got in spades from 48. It was the most non-IPA IPA I've ever had. I took one drink and instantly spit it out. Thank god it was my SWMBO that got it and not me.

I don't know if it was dirty tap lines or what, but that was straight up nasty.

On the plus side, the mini-golf place by my apartment serves beer. At least they had Sierra Nevada pale.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #1249
CGVT

Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Bad beer is bad beer. It doesn't matter who makes it. I have never had a beer as bad as Leinenkul Sunset Wheat. Never.

When I was in college in about 1978 my friends and I bought a 12 pack of something called Buckthorne for about $1.50. It was so bad that we had to shotgun it to get it down. (and we did. Ha!) I would buy that before I would buy Leinenkugal Sunset Wheat.

It's not about being spoiled. It is about not liking a crappy beer.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #1250
jdbright79
Recipes 

Steel reserve....we had a contest for a while during poker night to see who could bring the worst beer...that didnt last long. Lol

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Quick Reply