Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #991
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lone Star. It was part of the initiation to Little Woodrow's Big 50 Club.

I had to squeeze a lime in it and make believe it was a Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Justibone Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #992
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie View Post
Thunderhead IPA by Pyramid. Could have been skunked. Absolutely horrible. After that probably Tecate though Old Milwaukee and the current version of Rolling Rock(which I used to love before they sold) are pretty close behind. MGD is also just effing terrible.
Oh yeah I remember you telling me this story of the Thunderhead IPA. If I ever see it I will stay away from it.........far away.

Rolling Rock used to be one of my go to beers in my early 20's before they sold out to to AB I believe. Something in that recipe changed. It is absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they sell it anymore.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #993
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA49erFan21 View Post
Oh yeah I remember you telling me this story of the Thunderhead IPA. If I ever see it I will stay away from it.........far away.

Rolling Rock used to be one of my go to beers in my early 20's before they sold out to to AB I believe. Something in that recipe changed. It is absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they sell it anymore.
Its not made in Latrobe anymore. They shut down the brewery and probably messed with the recipe as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #994
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
Its not made in Latrobe anymore. They shut down the brewery and probably messed with the recipe as well.
They absolutely messed up the recipe. My question is always, "why did they change the recipe"? Don't you buy a beer for the recipe? I am sure it has something to do with cost savings and buying inferior ingredients.

What a shame. It was a good beer.

Do you have any idea what become of the brewery after they shut it down?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #995
Misfit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Iirc its still used for brewing. I think iron city. But I could be wrong

Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #996
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I drank my Stein Bier, I was so proud of it. It came out horrid! Like strait copper in your mouth, it is crystal clear and a nice copper color. But just taste like you have a mouth full of pennies. My girlfriend said my face looked so weird when I first tasted it, sad stuff.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #997
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Bummer, I thought ur stein beer post was awesome, too bad it didnt work out

Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #998
SiriusBock
Recipes 

Land shark lager. Holy crap. Perhaps bottled is better but the can was a nightmare in a can. I would have to put Wild Blue in there as well. Shame on me for not reading carefully and thinking it was a Flying Dog product!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #999
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of it. Awful.

As much as I like Sam C. and a few of his beers, the majority of DFH tastes like some goofy homebrew experiment that should have been dumped to me.

Labatt's products are uniformly dreadful. You will crave a Bud after trying a Labatt Blue.
Labatt Blue >>>>>> Bud

Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #1000
walrusbt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrink View Post
Shiner's ruby redbird. It's a lager mad with ruby red grapefruit and ginger. It sounds intriguing enough, but boy am I glad that I only bought a pint instead of a six pack. You know how when you have vomited in the past and will then proceed to actively avoid any food that reminds you of that violent ejection of foulness? Well, the first sip reminded me of the morning after a rather extensive evening journey into the world of mead and braggot. I had taken a large drink of grapefruit juice thinking good old vitamin C would help, but once it had hit my traitorous stomach, it proceeded to the nearest exit in a hasty fashion. That grapefruit taste laced with bile will stay with me to my dying day, and god help me the ruby redbird tasted exactly like that. So from my point of view I paid four bucks for a drink of vomit. I freely admit my visceral negative response was very subjective, so anyone that hasn't puked up grapefruit juice before might want to give it a shot. The beer, I mean.
I actually searched this thread to see if anyone else had hated this beer. Shiner's Ruby Red is also the worst I've had. Billed as having ginger and grapefruit I was worried I'd be wasting my money, but I enjoyed their other seasonals so I grabbed a six pack. It just had way to much ginger taste, and lacked the grapefruit touch I expected. I actually love ginger, but hated drinking it in a beer. It just didn't work for me. My brothers liked it though, so they disposed of the rest of the six pack. I've shared my beer before, but this was the first time I actively tried to get beer I bought out of my house,.

Quick Reply