Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

About 10 years ago my old band was playing a gig in Lansing and then another in Detroit on back to back nights. So we begin the long, fun drive from Madison to Detroit. Our van breaks down in Gary, Indiana which is a beautiful little city and we have it towed to a mechanic. After several Deliverance-like hours we're back on the road again but have no chance in hell of making the Lansing gig. We get there in time to see one of the other bands and play pinball after 15 minutes of which we hit the road to find a hotel. And beer.

We bought a 24 pack of Strohs after running over a gigantic dead raccoon.

Long story short, we got tanked on Strohs at 3 in the morning in the hotel room, trashed it, watched our vocalist and guitarist fight and roll around in the freshly ordered pizza from a Gumby's imitator, laughed at the guitarist (who we locked out of the room for being too drunk for even us to stand) outside the room screaming to be let back in, and then all passed out.

I will never drink Strohs again.

Yes, I got the pizza fight on tape:

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I drank a Chili Beer once. It's basically a light ale with a really spicy beer crammed inside. It burnt like fire going down.

I knew it would suck, but Man Law says when a guy tells you to drink a beer, you drink a beer.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Heineken is the worst beer I've ever had. I found Corona and Red Stripe pretty repulsive too. Followed closely by Bud Light.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 902 Times on 847 Posts
Likes Given: 494

About 3-4 years ago I had an apartment in a residential section of Nassau County, NY which is on Long Island. My roommate and I became quickly known as partyers in the neighborhood. My nextdoor neighbor told me he had a case of beer that he didn't need. I gave him seven dollars for a case of Lion's Head Beer. He told me he had won it in a raffle and didn't drink.

I should have known.

About a week later after finishing off our beer, I decided to try one of these Lion's Head Beers. Wow, that was simply awful. It tasted like hot budweiser, and it was ice cold.

I took the entire case and just put it at the curb. Probably not a wise decision as any kid could have and probably did grab them. It might serve them as a good lesson if that was their first beer.

Who the hell gives away crappy beer in a raffle?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
eljefe

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Midnight Dragon - By far THE worst beer ever. Don't believe me - read this:
40ozMaltLiquor.com :: Midnight Dragon Malt Liquor

We bought it for a long night of beer pong. How bad was it? The pong ball would not sink below the foam. It was like it was made of that expanding foam stuff. The worst hang over I have ever had.

Anyone else suffer through this?

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I lived off the dragon in NYC when I was a kid. The homebums and all the squatters enjoyed it as well.
=)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
eljefe

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
I lived off the dragon in NYC when I was a kid. The homebums and all the squatters enjoyed it as well.
=)
Should we form the Midnight Dragon Support Group? That was some really bad $hit.

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

When we were feeling uppity we drank the Country Club =)

Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I was in college, we used to go down to the ghetto mart and buy a bunch of 40's and all sit around getting wrecked whilst watching WWF. It was like a man's soap opera, and it was ONLY good when you were drinking malt liquor. I tried watching it sober once, I thought I was gonna fall asleep. Anyway, I was big into OE Ice...it had the most alcohol % for the $. Failing that, regular OE and Private Stock were both acceptable...country club wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

So one day, we figure, what the hell, we're gonna try this new fad all the kids are into, called "Steel Reserve". That was a fatal decision that I regret to this day. Now, when I was a little kid, I had asthma. Not terrible, but it was annoying and I actually went to the hospital once. I was over it by the time I went to middle school, so it wasn't like it hurt me in sports or anything. So here I am, over 10 years later, drinking this awful, awful, awful sh*t, trying to choke it down because, well, I dropped a few bucks on it, and hey, I'm not made of money! Well, I get about halfway through it, and I start having a goddamn asthma attack for the first time in like 15 years. Yes, that stuff IS brewed with a little piece of hell inside. There is no worse beer (if you can call it that).

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
When I was in college, we used to go down to the ghetto mart and buy a bunch of 40's and all sit around getting wrecked whilst watching WWF. It was like a man's soap opera, and it was ONLY good when you were drinking malt liquor. I tried watching it sober once, I thought I was gonna fall asleep. Anyway, I was big into OE Ice...it had the most alcohol % for the $. Failing that, regular OE and Private Stock were both acceptable...country club wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

So one day, we figure, what the hell, we're gonna try this new fad all the kids are into, called "Steel Reserve". That was a fatal decision that I regret to this day. Now, when I was a little kid, I had asthma. Not terrible, but it was annoying and I actually went to the hospital once. I was over it by the time I went to middle school, so it wasn't like it hurt me in sports or anything. So here I am, over 10 years later, drinking this awful, awful, awful sh*t, trying to choke it down because, well, I dropped a few bucks on it, and hey, I'm not made of money! Well, I get about halfway through it, and I start having a goddamn asthma attack for the first time in like 15 years. Yes, that stuff IS brewed with a little piece of hell inside. There is no worse beer (if you can call it that).

When I was in college I once played forty hands (duct tape a forty to each hand and you cant take the tape off until you finish both. Always fun trying to take a piss.) with steel reserve. Ive never had such a hard time drinking 80oz of beer in my life. One of my friends actually threw up and some got into one of his fortys so since he wouldnt drink it everyone decided he couldnt remove the bottles from his hands. Great night he pissed himself like 3 times cause he couldnt get his fly down.

Quick Reply