New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst brewing wound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Nate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Worst brewing wound

I'm sitting here looking at second degree burn scars caused by a boiling starter and was wondering what everyone's worst brew wound was. FYI, I stupidly shook a hot starter to mix it up and blew it all over my hand. Two fingers looked (and felt) like old leather for a few weeks... still doesn't look right. Beer turned out awesome though.

Last edited by Nate; 07-29-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Worst Brewing accident??

None so far!!! I would like to keep it that way.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was brewing in the kitchen one day with no shirt on. I had a carboy full of idophor and instead of siphoning into the sink I picked it up and turned it gently to dump into the sink. It slipped and broke while it was in my hands and resting against my stomach. I thought it had cut my gut wide open but did not go that deep just deep enough to make me bleed all over the place. I had a few small cuts on my hands, and legs but my stomach was the worse, I ended up getting no stitches just kinda scared me pretty bad. I dont pick them up unless I have too. I let gravity do the work when I can.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale
I was brewing in the kitchen one day with no shirt on. I had a carboy full of idophor and instead of siphoning into the sink I picked it up and turned it gently to dump into the sink. It slipped and broke while it was in my hands and resting against my stomach. I thought it had cut my gut wide open but did not go that deep just deep enough to make me bleed all over the place. I had a few small cuts on my hands, and legs but my stomach was the worse, I ended up getting no stitches just kinda scared me pretty bad. I dont pick them up unless I have too. I let gravity do the work when I can.
One of the reasons I have my carboys in a milk crate...more handles!

Old 07-30-2006, 02:15 AM   #5
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
After reading a few posts about broken carboys, I've also eyed the milkcrates. But I'm curious: do you just sit them in the crate, or do you tie them in somehow? The crate would seem to add safety when simply moving a carboy around, but the biggest risk seems to be when washing a carboy. How does a milk crate help then, unless it's tied in? (BTW, I brew outdoors on a concrete patio, and I rinse/sanatize/aerate there as well.)

I use a stack of old cardboard on the patio when working with the primary on brew day, to provide some protection against breaking the glass. The cardboard works well, but it needs replacing after a couple of brew sessions. I'm currently looking for some sort of rubber pad. What do you all use to protect your glass primary?

on tap: raspberry melomel
primary: first all-grain!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

just an idea, you can you use those rubber pads made to help relieve standing tension, the anti-fatigue mats, i believe. do you know what i mean? they seem like they would stand up pretty well to a beating and work well at helping to prevent a carboy breaking.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Why not build a washer/rinser so you don't have to hold and shake the carboy in the first place? Sometime ago I saw a how to using an up side down plastic flower pot with a hole cut out of the middle (this was the stand - the neck of the carboy went into the hole) then connect some rigid copper tubing to a garden hose and run the pipe up through the hole in the pot and into the carboy where it can spray water and gently rinse the carboy.

All you'd have to do is scrub it a bit with the brush and then place it on the stand for rinsing and repeat if necessary. I think I may try this if I ever finish that damn fridge/kegerator (I think I may finally have all the kinks worked out as of tonight).

Anyhow, as to the original question.. I haven't broken a carboy yet but I have burned myself several times. Seems like everytime I brew I find something else to burn my hand on. I recall one time in particular when I was using a small pot for decotion mashing, I sat it on my 150,000 btu propane burner and the flames were leaping up the sides. Not more than 30 seconds after I shut it off I reached for the *metal* handles. I even looked at my oven mitts right before I did it and thought.. "ah, why bother.. it can't be that hot." I had raised white bars on my palms and on a couple of fingers - the blisters perfectly matched the handles of the pots.

Unlike homebrewing, I found homebranding to be a rather unpleasant hobby and don't plan on trying it again anytime soon.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Injured my back a few weeks ago by lifting fermenters in some awkward ways. Agonising for a couple of days

Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale
You are lucky you had iodophor in there, which would have disinfected the wound.

I prefer to use plastic fermenters...glass just scares me.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I use one of these:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_53_148&products_id=1079

While the carboy could still break, it won't be right up against my body when it does. Makes life 100 times easier when transfer/bottling days come around.

Worst wound for me......small, superficial cut on my foot when I accidentally dropped my floating thermometer and it broke. I've also burned the hair off of my legs and feet by standing too close to the burner with shorts and sandals on.....

Quick Reply