The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst brew day ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb View Post
Pics of the burns please.
Too bad you missed it! Right exactly on my left boob!

The funny(?) part was that I had lifted out the lid of the MLT with the sparge arm shooting 175 degree water right at me. So, I dropped it back on the MLT and tore off my clothes to stop the burning and then ran to the sink to run cold water over my chest. I was naked from the waist up and worried that my sparge was going too fast so I rushed back to turn down the pump.

I finished that brew, but couldn't wear a bra for about two weeks! I have a little scar to remind me of how stupid I can be.

The beer, however, turned out GREAT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
True. The problem was that i started from the beginning. So by the time i was doughing in, i was on beer #3. By the end of the mash i was on #5.
Ah hell... I'm usually on at least number 3 before I even dig my equipment out.

If you can remember racking to the fermentor, the beer is going to suck.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Too bad you missed it! Right exactly on my left boob!

The funny(?) part was that I had lifted out the lid of the MLT with the sparge arm shooting 175 degree water right at me. So, I dropped it back on the MLT and tore off my clothes to stop the burning and then ran to the sink to run cold water over my chest. I was naked from the waist up and worried that my sparge was going too fast so I rushed back to turn down the pump.

I finished that brew, but couldn't wear a bra for about two weeks! I have a little scar to remind me of how stupid I can be.

The beer, however, turned out GREAT!
I vote that from this day forward you be required to videotape all of your brew sessions!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post

Dont drink and brew...
I typically don't follow this advice because...well...I like beer. The sad part about my most recent experience is that I was stone cold sober. Perhpas my lesson should be that I need beer for flawless brew days. Interesting thoughts....

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Maybe im just a forgetful drunk!

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed my 1st AG 10 gal batch this past Sunday and everything went fine until I attempted to top off my BK with an extra gal of water. I came up slightly short after sparge. Then the entire turkey burner assembly began to buckle under the 11 gal + keggle weight and began to toppple over! I'm holding one keg to use the last last of my sparge water to fill the other while this happened with the gas still going and burning. So I literally drop the keg I'm holding and stop the BK from going over and only spilled a few drops of wort at this point and try to turn off the gas at the same time. It wasn't at boiling but it was pretty damn hot. Lessons learnt: Do not use a regular turkey fryer burner to attempt to support that much weight with heat on it. It will buckle and poop wort all over you! I was able to stabilize it with 2 bricks but I will have to get another burner. The funny thing is that I was more concerned about getting a stuck sparge over anything else due to 20+ lbs of grain I used. That wasn't even that big of an issue. I only got a little under expected OG. Instead of 1.055 it was 1.044. For 10 gal I'm happy with that. As stated above these little lessons are what will make you brew better beer and think about the what ifs and how to avoid them.
beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #17
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
Ah hell... I'm usually on at least number 3 before I even dig my equipment out.

If you can remember racking to the fermentor, the beer is going to suck.
I hope this is true, because this means my oatmeal stout should be great! Hmmm....did I sanitize that bucket or not? (Pretty sure I did.)

Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
mburnett274
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Maybe it was a Sunday thing. My brew day last sunday was one of those that didn't go smooth. everything that could go wrong did go wrong!!
but i'm sure I will end up with beer.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not because anybody is clamoring for a conclusion, but rather because I can't stand unresolved threads...

I kegged my "worst brew day ever" wheat 11 days ago and let the tap start flowing this weekend. SO beyond disappointed!

-The body is thin (as I figured it would be as the damn mash wouldn't raise higher than 150 no matter how much boiling water I added.

-In all my brilliance of that day, I neglected to filter out the bitter orange peel when I racked to primary. So I have essentially been dry-hopping with bitter orange for two weeks. As you might imagine, that imparted a bitterness, that while not overwhelming by any stretch, isn't even close to style.

-The scorching of the grains during decoction imparted a smoky/burnt taste to the beer. It's somewhat subtle, but not subtle enough for anybody to miss.

-I must have fermented too cool for esters and too warm for phenols as my Belgian yeast fermented as clean as any wit I have ever tasted.

So what I have is a low/medium body, smoky, cloudy, bitter, mildly Belgian-y wit. Sounds marketable, huh?

The good news is that for some strange reason, my wife actually doesn't think it's all that bad and prefers it to the doppelbock and IPA I currently have on tap (not because those aren't good, mind you, she just doesn't like those styles).

I think going forward, I'm going to call this an experimental "smoked wheat" to anybody that samples it.

Moral of the story: don't ever attempt to brew without drinking any beer. The beer gods do not like it and things do not turn out well!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Quick Reply