New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst brew day ever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Worst brew day ever

Ever have one of those brew days that just didnt go right from the start? That was me on Sunday.

It was my first wit in a long time which I was really excited about. I've been tinkering with decoction lately so I planned a protein rest (using flaked wheat, not wheat malt so this was supposed to help). Took out about a gallon and a half of wort to raise to boiling. Ran into the house to grab something, came out and smelled a distinct burning smell. CRAP! The bottom grains of my now boiling decoction were burnt to a crisp.

Figured it would be a total waste to stop now, so I just added my decoction back to my main mash to step up the temp from my 122 to 154. Only problem was, temp only went up to to 140. CRAP! So, I pulled half a gallon of wort, boiled it quick, added it back to the mash. 142. Pulled another half gallon and boiled. 146! CRAP!

Pulled bout a gallon and a half. 146 (yes, after a thorough stirring in of 1.5 gallons o boiling wort, my mash temp dint up at all). Throwing my brew day totally off and not wanting to have a thin-bodied wit, I threw caution to the wind, boiled 2 gallons of water, and finally upped the mash temp to 152. Still no target, but screw it, I'm done.

I sparge as normal. And surprisingly, after adding an additional 2 GALLONS of h2o not planned on, I get the perfect volume in my boil kettle (roughly 9.5 gallons were used to get 5.5 in the fermentor).

Crazy freaking day. At the end of the day, though, my overshot my OG by .002 so I was pretty much spot on despite my snafus. I still hate that my efficiency when using heavy concentrations of wheat is so low (65%), but at least I'm planning on it!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3875 Times on 2830 Posts
Likes Given: 648

You know, it's been my experience that the worst brewdays (2nd degree burns on my chest, a flood in the house, burned grains) make the best beer!

I've had a few brewdays recently that went like clockwork, and it felt like something was totally wrong!

If I hit my temps exactly, don't have trouble priming my pumps, don't get a stuck sparge, don't have a boilover, and don't spill water over 90% of my laundry room, something just doesn't fill right!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My last one was pretty bad as well. It was the first one where a friend and i started drinking from the beginning, so no surprise that there were screw ups.

It was an imperial oatmeal porter. I forgot to put in the oats. I remembered as i finished pulling the first runnings. So i threw in 2 lbs of oats in with my sparge water and let it sit for half an hour at 168f. Of course i got a stuck sparge after something that stupid. I also realized afterwards that someone messed with my thermometer and my mash was actually at 159 instead of 154. Now fermentation is stuck at 1.040 from 1.080.

Dont drink and brew...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Beerknapper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
You know, it's been my experience that the worst brewdays (2nd degree burns on my chest, a flood in the house, burned grains) make the best beer!
I'll agree with that, some mistakes turn out to be great inventions/innovations. I also have had a couple "disastrous" brews (although they sound insignificant compared to Yooper's) that turned out great.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07
My last one was pretty bad as well. It was the first one where a friend and i started drinking from the beginning, so no surprise that there were screw ups.

It was an imperial oatmeal porter. I forgot to put in the oats. I remembered as i finished pulling the first runnings. So i threw in 2 lbs of oats in with my sparge water and let it sit for half an hour at 168f. Of course i got a stuck sparge after something that stupid. I also realized afterwards that someone messed with my thermometer and my mash was actually at 159 instead of 154. Now fermentation is stuck at 1.040 from 1.080.

Dont drink and brew...
No way a 159 mash temp left it at 1.040. Look at biermunchers outer limits ops.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer

No way a 159 mash temp left it at 1.040. Look at biermunchers outer limits ops.
Even if 2 lbs of oats were "mashed" at 172 in a 5 gallon batch?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Ipa, not ops. Stupid phone.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post

Dont drink and brew...
Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not get crazy here! RDWHAHB right?

I've never not drank while brewing. A couple times it was just a little much, and a couple of those times I made a mistake. Oh well, I've only really had two bad batches of beer ever, and only one that was undrinkable. Just try to limit yourself. Like "Alright, I'm not having one until I get the boil going." Whatever works for you.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84

Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not get crazy here! RDWHAHB right?

I've never not drank while brewing. A couple times it was just a little much, and a couple of those times I made a mistake. Oh well, I've only really had two bad batches of beer ever, and only one that was undrinkable. Just try to limit yourself. Like "Alright, I'm not having one until I get the boil going." Whatever works for you.
True. The problem was that i started from the beginning. So by the time i was doughing in, i was on beer #3. By the end of the mash i was on #5.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pics of the burns please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I've had a few brewdays recently that went like clockwork, and it felt like something was totally wrong!

If I hit my temps exactly, don't have trouble priming my pumps, don't get a stuck sparge, don't have a boilover, and don't spill water over 90% of my laundry room, something just doesn't fill right!

Quick Reply