Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Old Dutch (The Good Beer)

I was fortunate enough to know the two girls very well that tended the register at the state liquor agency in the town where I went to highschool in Ohio.

We would always go into the state agency and buy whiskey and beer when I was 18/19 years old. They had cameras set up for security reasons, so we would just give our IDs to these girls we knew, they would look at it as if they were verifying our age and put ona good show for the cameras, and then sell us the stuff. No big deal.

Except this one time....

We were in the store after it closed, waiting for the girls to finish up and come party with us. We had the booze already paid for and in bags by the checkout counter when the owner of the shop pulled into the parking lot. The girls pushed us into a walk-in fridge to hide from the owner as he did whatever he was there to do so that they would not get into trouble.

Biding our time in the fridge, I started rummaging through a pile of oddball six packs that were sitting in a dark corner. Near the bottom I came across a dusty (literally) six pack of Old Dutch. Under the name of the beer in fine print it said "The Good Beer".

I thought to myself, "Self... if this is The Good Beer, then I'm going to have to get some of it."

After the boss had left, we came out of the fridge with Old Dutch in hand. I told one of the girls that I wanted to get the six pack and she looked at it with a weird expression.

"I've never even seen that before. Where did you get it?"

When I told her she said that I could just have it. It had probably been in there for a long time and was likely going to be thrown away.

Score! Free beer! And not just any Old Beer.... this was the one and only Old Dutch, The Good Beer.

They got the "old" part right.
The "dutch" was way off (it was from Detroit).
"The Good Beer" part??? Blatant lie.

I grimaced when I tasted it and my buddy Jeremy couldn't even convince his throat to allow it to pass, so he had to spit it out.

That stuff was the absolute worst thing I have ever put into my mouth. There were 5 of us partying that night, and we only managed to open up two cans, neither of which was fully consumed.

I threw the other 4 cans into the river.

Last edited by Walker; 02-14-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #22
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Do they still sell Reineer? God, that crap was aweful. Haven't seen it in BC for 15 years. I think it was made from deer piss from the Reineer moutains.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #23
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sorry.. one more thing about Old Dutch.

I found an info page on line that says that the Old Dutch Brewing Co. went out of busniess in 1972!!!!

That's 2 years before I was even born, so by the time I bought this the beer would have had to have been 20 years old! (Oddly, though, I remember it having the modern flip-top can instead of the pull-tab, but maybe my memory is failing me on that.)

No wonder it was so terrible.... bad beer aged 20 years is still bad beer.

-walker

Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #24
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the usual litany of PBR, Old Swilwaukee, MeisterChow, the Beast, Natlight, Keystone, Busch/Buschlight all apply. I don't put Bud/light/Lite into this category because, while not good beer, I would choose any of them over the ones I listed first, and Budlight is normally my mowing/yard work beer. At least, it was before I started brewing. I am going to try and come up with a nice night crisp beer for the yard stuff, though.

One that I drank in college a lot as it was only $9.99/case, and $11.99/case for 16oz bottles was Golden Anniversary. Needed to be ice cold. We used to consume mass quantities of that swill.

I do like ClearBottle (Highlife) once in a while, but it also needs to be cold.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #25
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PBR and High Life are best out of the bunch described. When given the choice between miller light and pbr I will always choose pbr. The worst beer I have ever had was Rienlander "As fresh as Wisconsin's north woods"

Old 02-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #26
joutlaw
Recipes 

I'd say the Beast or Busch. Keystone was pretty bad, but I did drink it when times were rough.

Southpaw is pretty bad, but we mostly funneled it in college

Suprisingly I found a beer thats 6$ for a 12 pack that I drink when I'm running low on homebrew. It's called 211 or 221 and its 6% ABV, highest in MS allowed, and tastes better than Bud Light or Select to me.

Soon to be brewing again!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #27
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Growing up in Michigan, the worst beer on the market at the time was Goebel. Dunno if it still exists.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #28
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't read the entire thread... but I have the answer!

Carling Black Label!

No doubt about it. Getting to the bottom of a can with it being warm, is a sure gagger....

Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #29
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You drink Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity Lager?!

The worst beer I ever had was a can of warm Miller's on a hot summer day in Illinois. I was about 8 and Tom Oltman's dad was a little twisted, gave us each a can. Didn't touch it again until I was 19.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #30
joutlaw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
You drink Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity Lager?!
Yep, just b/c its cheap and 6% ABV. Gave it a try the other weekend and was impressed for the price. Kind of ironic going from that to a homebrew...

I think it's actually decent for the money. I just can't stand to spend 8$ on a sixer of microbrews when I can make 5 gallons for 20-22$ or so.

Soon to be brewing again!

Quick Reply