Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worried about my hefe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #11
Kokamantratarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cool I will try the Hersbrucker then. About how much water should I use? I am going to the hefe another taste while the hops brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

Ok I think you are definatly right about using the Hersbrucker...just gave them another smell and I forgot how great they smell, I think it would actually go really really well with how it is tasting at the moment.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would add 1 cup then slowly stir it in and let sit for about 10 mins to blend before taking a sample to drink. If it needs more then add another cup.

If you find yourself wanting another sample then you are probably where you want it to be.

Remember, you can't make it sweeter after overhopping so if it's close then stop adding the hop tea.

I've used up to 3 cups of tea on a batch.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

Should I use 2 quarts or so to begin the boil? And I will need to boil for 60 mins correct?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, my normal brewing practice is to boil about 1 oz of hops, 1 lb DME in 1 gal of water for 60 mins. There are more steps (adding other ingredients, but not when making a tea), but that is the basis for extracting the bitterness from the hop.

Start off with 1/2 gal of water and 1 oz of hops.

You could also double up on the hop and only boil for 30 mins. It comes out the same. Any extra tea can be placed in a jar for a later use.

Either way, you have to have enough water left over that hasn't evaporated. Whatever water that does remain will have a high concentrate of bitterness in it. Sample a small bit and you'll pucker. I know I did.

You don't want to start with too much water, say 1 gal, because you'll end up diluting (thinning out) your beer and lowering the alcohol %. That's why I say to start with a 1/2 gal. first.

You can always add water later if need be...if you have too much water then you can boil longer to let some evaporate.

Quick Reply