Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wormwood? Oak? Dryhop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wormwood? Oak? Dryhop?

Here's the dilly: I've got this Wee Heavy conditioning in carboy. I was within the limits IBU and OG -wise. Unfortunately, it's not very unique. I'm not crazy about it, and I'm thinking about adding something to it while it's still in carboy. As most of you know, I'm no stranger to adjuncts, and I just don't want to end up with a blah-beer. So...

I got some wormwood on closeout at AHS, just for sh*ts and giggles. It was really cheap, so I figgered, what the hell. But I'm scared of completely ruining this batch, as I've heard that wormwood is weird stuff. Should I try to oak it? Or dryhop it (not exactly a Wee-Heavy technique, though)? Or what?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stick with something that works

This is the only wormwood I know anything about. I'd stick with this one, It's tried and true, and literally music to my ears.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
KitrGy
Recipes 

I've wondered about wormwood? I know it's great stuff in Absinthe and it was wicked in a bottle of that stuff I had. It is nice ****. but I wonder if you can get a beer with ith boiled in like a hops and if it can add the benifits it adds like in absinthe? I think it could add some nice bitterness and some nice sweet buzz effect, has anyone ever experimented with this?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Poisonous Herbs - Do Not Brew With These!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I got some wormwood on closeout at AHS, just for sh*ts and giggles. It was really cheap, so I figgered, what the hell. But I'm scared of completely ruining this batch, as I've heard that wormwood is weird stuff. Should I try to oak it? Or dryhop it (not exactly a Wee-Heavy technique, though)? Or what?

Don't use Wormwood. Go with Oak.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...286#post229286

It poisonous.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

wormwood has a very bitter taste, which is also the reason I think that New Belgiums new seasonal, Springboard, tastes like sh!t.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

I can't stand springboard, couldn't finish one bottle, although SWMBO didn't mind it. I couldn't take the crap though. I has completely turned me off of ever using wormwood.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Don't use Wormwood. Go with Oak.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...286#post229286

It poisonous.
Anything is poisonous in certain doses. As evidenced by the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" promotion, even water is poisonous in large enough doses. I'll steer clear of it simply because of the reactions re: taste, but I've not heard of anyone dying from Absinthe in moderate doses. And if it was a true poison, somehow I doubt AHS would be selling it as a beer adjunct, anyway.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Yah, I suppose. I saw two posts about this and somebody commented on it possibly being poisonous. I just tried to site a source so I wasn't just somebody pulling out of their a$$.

There are so many other good herbs and additives to use that don't pose a risk.

I'm not a purist so I wouldn't feel the need to use wormwood in a Wee Heavy if thats what it calls for in the recipe.

To each his own....

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Default Not Using it...

I also don't ever want to get someone sick drinking my beer. Certain things effect people differently. So why risk it?

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I think the key here is if you add some Wormwood, proportion would be the hardest thing to determine. I don't necessarily think it is the Wormwood itself which would be horrible, but because it is so intense it would be very easy to overdo it. If you did go this approach a sterile infusion would be absolutely necessary so that you could meter out Tbs of the stuff into your Ale until you reach the right concentration.

I think the oaking would probably be a good method of imparting a uniqueness.

Fwiw, you'd have to chew on a bunch of Wormwood to get sick and that would be really hard to do given it's nature. Many of the tales of Wormwood being a poison are deeply rooted in the history of Absinthe. From what I can piece together it was the addition of things like Copper Sulfate (to give it a green color) and other really poisionous substances and practices that created the problems associated with Absinthe that led to its ban. The ban has been lifted in I believe most if not all of Europe but still remains in effect in the USA. The key component reportedly associated with the delirium from drinking absinthe is the chemical Thujone. This is found in Wormwood, but interestingly enough the concentrations of Thujone are much higher in common culinary Sage. Have you ever tripped out from eating Sage? Most of the relationship with poisoning and elevated euphoria from Absinthe were most likely from poor practices used to make cheap Absinthe. I saw on tv a guy making Absinthe in a distillery in France. After seeing him throw bundles and bundles of the stuff into the vat I am convinced you would be really hard pressed to get sick from it unless you had some strange sensitivity to it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply