New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wormwood herb beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
friday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is kind of a dead post but.......

I did a worm wood beer, basically your standard pale with 3/4 oz of worm wood.

When it was fresh it was a really weird bitter, won a silver in a pretty tough competition, but not something you would drink a pint of.

I just cracked a bottle open tonight 3 years later and it's a pretty good beer. It's a pale and the beer didn't age well but the bitterness on the side of the tongue and that weird back side bitterness is gone. It's actually pretty good for a pale that's been sitting for 3 years.

I think I'm going to try it on something that will age a little better that I want some bitterness to after a few years.

It does mellow out but it takes a lot of time.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
This is kind of a dead post but.......

I did a worm wood beer, basically your standard pale with 3/4 oz of worm wood.

When it was fresh it was a really weird bitter, won a silver in a pretty tough competition, but not something you would drink a pint of.

I just cracked a bottle open tonight 3 years later and it's a pretty good beer. It's a pale and the beer didn't age well but the bitterness on the side of the tongue and that weird back side bitterness is gone. It's actually pretty good for a pale that's been sitting for 3 years.

I think I'm going to try it on something that will age a little better that I want some bitterness to after a few years.

It does mellow out but it takes a lot of time.
Interesting! I wonder what strong ale would go well with wormwood for aging. Maybe a strong Belgian?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #13
friday
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm thinking that it would be interesting to do a freeze distilled beer with wormwood.

Say a wheat beer aged for three years the freeze distilled.

I don't know it's way outside the box but that's what we do right?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I used a 1/4 oz at 15 min for a five gallon batch of bragot (to avoid using hops; my inexperience at AG turned it into a nut brown ale) and was able to drink it after cooling without issue. It may have been the 20# of malt that balanced it out or the Brewer's Best wormwood wasn't up to snuff. Just added honey to the secondary and I'm waiting a bit before adding candied ginger, peppercorn, star anise, etc.

It does contribute a particular herbal, woodsy taste beyond the bitterness and not just supposed mind effects. As with all things it needs to be used right.

I think there is some novelty in something that was bittered with a component other than hops. Using wormwood is also another way of exploring beer in a manner which you probably won't find in commercial beers. I'm more about the old-timey appeal (because wormwood was so hyped in the past even if it has been shown to be ineffective in the present time) and my fancy for the works of Poe and Lovecraft where wormwood becomes more or less a plot point or motif. I think these are valid points for some.

As far as hallucinogenics, I'm a bit of a hypochrondriac so it'll probably do something for me anyway (had an interesting run with hookah one time).

I am surprised friday was able to bring it to a competition though since technically there are warnings on some of the components to wormwood. I wouldn't let someone drink it without letting them know what was in it, but I guess contests come with some of the disclosure up front?

Wormwood may be impotent to the drinker but it certainly stirs up potent feelings on forums.

Fermenting: Raccoon Cancun ESB
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak+Brett C)
On Tap: Akron Fog (steam beer), Deception Coffee Stout

[NaCl]

Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
friday
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yes it was disclosed right on the label, but we're talking about less then an ounce in a 5 gallon batch. I guess I wouldn't suggest drinking it if your pregnant, although if you are drinking while pregnant the wormwood might be doing the world a favor.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Arrheinous
Recipes 

I don't it'd do anything specific. Seems like everything has either been attributed to causing or curing cancer or both.

But if someone got food poisoning or felt really ill by coincidence, they might first point to the beer with the weird stuff in it.

[NaCl]

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Arrheinous
Recipes 

I don't it'd do anything specific. Seems like everything has either been attributed to causing or curing cancer or both.

But if someone got food poisoning or felt really ill by coincidence, they might first point to the beer with the weird stuff in it.

[NaCl]

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

The concentration of (pre Victorian Absinthe) thujone, the active ingredient in wormwood, was about 40mg of thujone per liter of absinthe. Drinking this, considering it was also about 120 proof, got you to dance with the "Green Fairy".

Absinthe that is now sold in the US contains very little if any thujone and the European brands contain some but not in the same concentration as back in the old days.

About 1 and a half ounces of real wormwood will yield 125mg of thujone, which is enough to make about 3 liters of (yucky bitter) wacky juice.

But just adding it to a ferment may not do it. It is uasually extracted in very high proof alcohol and allowed to macerate for a week or two.

As far as a flavoring agent goes, wormwood tastes like....hmm, how can I say this...POISON.

OMO

bosco

Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
As far as a flavoring agent goes, wormwood tastes like....hmm, how can I say this...POISON.
3-10% of a beer batch is alcohol. If I drank 5 gallons in a night it wouldn't be the thujone that got me. Nutmeg in high enough doses can produce actual hallucinations - apparently they're pretty scary. A lot of spices can do damage if you overuse them. Things like renal failure and so on.

I'm bottling a very batch tonight (unspiced leftover from the bigger batch) we'll see how it goes. I expect an hour in heavy traffic with the windows down to be more dangerous.

[NaCl]

Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous View Post
3-10% of a beer batch is alcohol. If I drank 5 gallons in a night it wouldn't be the thujone that got me. Nutmeg in high enough doses can produce actual hallucinations - apparently they're pretty scary. A lot of spices can do damage if you overuse them. Things like renal failure and so on.

I'm bottling a very batch tonight (unspiced leftover from the bigger batch) we'll see how it goes. I expect an hour in heavy traffic with the windows down to be more dangerous.
I was referring to the taste not toxicity..

bosco

Quick Reply