Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wormwood herb beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Wormwood herb beer

So for those of you who know what fresh wormwood smells like..... can you imagine it in beer? I'm not sure that I can. I've seen basil cream ales this summer.. thinking along the same lines may work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Smash you head with a brick and walk away. Wormwood is bad. It tastes bad. It is like pure tannis. Unless you like the sides and back of you tongue covered in bitter as #$^*#@$(&# stuff along with with your throat being squeezed really hard, in that case give it a go. I used less than 1/8oz in a 6 gallon batch, in just under 2 years it is barley drinkable.

FWIW there is NO, I repeat NO, "extra effects" either. That was a medieval sales pitch that was used to sell booze that was really high ABV and tasted worse than a hot, flat, festering in the sun, BMC product.

You have been warned...

Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Totally trippie man...

I'd prolly listen to Zamial, sounds like he's got the first hand knowledge

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So that was what they made "snake oil" from?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am pretty sure that snake oil was different but the same idea.

Some guy made a batch of hootch and it did not ferment out. It was sickeningly sweet. His buddy said,"Wormwood is bitter and free, use that." They then distilled it down and tried it. The brewer was horrified to learn that his family would starve to death if he did not sell this wretched tasting swill. His buddy said,"Tell everyone you see stuff that is not there...like green fairies." - the true unpublished history of absinth

Also if Thurojune (or whatever the active ingredient is supposed to be) was that great of a "high" or even a "high at all" wouldn't there be MORE people abusing it? There would be Thurojune houses and labs all over. Think about it, we live in the country that had to make cocaine stronger. The lack of junkies is pretty good proof that it is a myth.

I am not saying not to use wormwood because it is to strong, I am saying do not use it because it tastes bad. I made 2 batches because I did not want to listen to the HBT collective that basically had given me the same advice as above because "I knew better"... The 1st batch I used 1/8oz in a 5 gallon IPA. By the time it was drinkable the hops profile was LONG gone. I prob still have a bottle of this batch floating around someplace. The 2nd batch I upped the hops into an IIPA range and used 1/16th oz in 5 gallons. The result was a semi decent beer after over a year of aging. Guess what that year of aging did to my hop profile?

Long story short, use a different ingredient that tastes good.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I take a lot of supplements and wormwood is one of them 2 horse pills in the morning and 2 at night. When you open the bottle they smell like cloves. I have no idea what it does I just do what my witch doctor tells me to do. Funny my family doctor says no beer but the witch doctor says its good for me. Guess who I listen to?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Okay ... good awareness!

Though I like the way it smells... maybe I'll make a tea out of it to see what you are talking about.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

It can be used but only in great moderation, it's bitterness is extremely powerful, that's for sure. To a slight degree aging will help, but if you use too much it will not remove that overpowering bitter taste.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Thujole does in fact do stuff, but it takes processing and much maceration (cane sugar being the best to use). It's also not nearly as fantastic as it seems in books and movies. The old absinthe recipes in the 1800s (which is likely what you're thinking of in terms of down the rabbit hole fantasies) tended to contain things like laudanum and copper compounds. I have a pretty spectacular old absinthe recipe which does the trick, and it's pretty much exactly nothing at all like beer.

You /can/ use wormwood in beer, but those above me were all correct. It is pretty much hands down the most bitter substance on earth. It's going to be medicinal, astringent, and ridiculously bitter. Be delicate if you put it in wort.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
Funny my family doctor says no beer but the witch doctor says its good for me. Guess who I listen to?
I think the key difference would be the source. Some commercial beer with its sundry processing and other things, nah I'll pass. Homemade brew with quality ingredients that I know exactly what is in it? Yes please!

It's two opposed forces, the conventional doctor will tell you to eat a low fat, high carbohydrate diet. That in and of itself might not be completely terrible if the source were not processed foods. The witch doctor might be more friendly to saturated fat and animal protein.

Quick Reply