Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Work day = brew day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Work day = brew day!

Shortly I am of to work, I will also get to have a brew day at the same time. I work in my LHBS part time now and while "customers first" always applies, I have no problems about doing up a small split boil, stove top extract batch.

This will also be my 1st brewday in MONTHS. I have been busy, lazy and have had a massively full pipeline, not to mention it has JUST started to cool off.

I will be brewing up a Dark Belgian Strong with pumpkin and spices. I do not have the time to post up the recipe ATM but I will use less than a standard spiced pumpkin beers spice bill as the yeast will also add some spicy notes. I plan to age this for 13 months so it will be ready for next year's Halloween.

While I do not get work often at the LHBS, there are few of us that can say "My boss lets me brew and drink on the job."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's cool None of the LHBS I frequent have any setup for demo brewing like that. That'd be awesome if they did. I'd even volunteer to demo fr one if they had some sort of a setup.

Have fun!! Work hard!!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2193 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

Sounds like a good job to have. I haven't brewed in months myself. Darn old stove. Fixed that,but need a thing or two to proceed with my 1st PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

Too bad that I'm out of town today our I'd stop in and pay you a visit.

Have fun!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts

Well I made beer. It was busier than expected and I left the steeping grains get a bit to warm for to long but they are steeping grains so, no big deal. I also "over toasted" the pumpkin and lost about 50% due to it either being burned or stuck to the foil to the point I could not remove it. (Also not the end of the world). After dinner I will drag the wort inside, aerate and pitch as I feel the energy build to do so.

As for a "set up" they have a stove with 1 large burner and a sink that leaks/ is broken in the center (thanks for the heads up on that one guys! ). However, I wanted to see if this brew would do what I think it will. I am making a high gravity, extract batch w/ steeping grains. I decided that I would have a decent shot at it finishing right if I used amylase enzyme in it and use my O2 wand. I plan to age this for 13 months as it should be around 10% abv.

I decided that until it gets into "busy season" (and that may not stop me) every time I work on Saturday, I will brew an extract batch. I will be trying out all the extract stuff I skipped when I went to AG when I started brewing. It will be fun to see if club members or anyone else for that matter can tell the difference.

Quick Reply