New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WOOT! First place at the 2012 Beijing Craft Beer Festival

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
TinTurtle
Far East Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default WOOT! First place at the 2012 Beijing Craft Beer Festival

I got the greatest news this weekend, me and my brewing partner took first place at the Beijing Craft Beer Festival! I really had no idea we would do any good, for me it was just cool to be able to say we had an entry. The festival was really well attended, and there were several local craft brewers there including Boxing Cat, Slow Boat and Great Leap. A couple of the guys completely ran out of beer.

All home brewing in China is done using the all grain method, at least as far as I have seen. But our winning beer was was brewed using the Black IPA kit from Northern Brewer. My wife was in NYC on business and Northern Brewer shipped this kit and a ton of other equipment to her hotel, and she was a trooper carrying it back home.

Yin Hai is a great friend who rents a small space called a hutong so he can brew somethere and keep out of trouble with his wife. We have nicknamed it the Brewtong and while I can brew at home, this brew was done over at his place. It is great fun brewing with this guy who has to be the biggest homebrew/beer fanatic in China.

I am sorry to say we did not follow the instructions for the Black IPA kit exactly. Due to time constraints and just not wanting to mess up what we had, we ended up skipping the entire secondary fermentation process. You just have to realize that homebrewing in China is in its infancy and we are still struggling with getting everything precise. There is ZERO automation of anything, and even our brewpots do not have valves. But we will improve, and learn, and I am certain things will only get better and better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
wubears71

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Nice work. Congrats!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
dr_sanch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great stuff, now send some of that North of the Border!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2631 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Great! That's amazing you won first.

I've hung out in the Beijing hutong. Fun stuff, but tight living conditions back there, hidden behind walls built along the main corridors when they were preparing for the olympics.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Pappers_

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Congratulations!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
TinTurtle
Far East Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I've hung out in the Beijing hutong. Fun stuff, but tight living conditions back there, hidden behind walls built along the main corridors when they were preparing for the olympics.
Yes it is crazy. We have to walk sideways about 40 yards down this alley to dispose of the grain.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Congratulations! However I am somewhat worried that if 1B Chinese acquire a taste for IPAs I will never be able to acquire Simco and Amarillo again.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's funny you say your pots don't even have valves. Most of the equipment I have bought along with valves came direct from china, you would think it would be easier to get there.
Also congrats!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2631 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
It's funny you say your pots don't even have valves. Most of the equipment I have bought along with valves came direct from china, you would think it would be easier to get there.
Also congrats!
So much stuff there is made for export. I helped set up a factory there and I had to buy tools here at Sears and ship them to the factory. Crazy.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #10
DoubleAught
...is drinking again

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 29

grats!!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Quick Reply