Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Woodchips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Ozzie53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Woodchips

Hey all,
has anyone ever experimented with oak chips during fermentation. I added 4 oz of oakchips into my 5 gallon IPA, for the last 7 days of a 4 week fermentation, and now i have a beer that tastelike a mulchpile.
The guy at the brew store recommended it heavily for our IPA but it basically ruined it. Has anyone had a similar experience or know the proper amount of wood chips to use and what time/how long to add them? We also dryhopped our IPA during the same timeframe.
We wont be trying it again i just wondered if anyone knew why the only taste the beer has is woodchips

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, 4oz is way too much for an IPA. You'd want to use that on an Imperial Stout, then let it age out a bit as the stout condititions over a period of at least 6 months.

For an IPA, 1oz is plenty and you really need to taste it everyday and then get it off the wood chips once you're happy with the flavor.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorry about your beer. The good news is that the oak flavor will mellow over time, but for that amount it's going to be awhile.

Follow Brookdale's suggestion of using a smaller amount next time and tasting it every day or two to get it to where you like it. A suggestion that I've heard and plan on applying is to allow it to get slightly more oaky flavor than you would like, because during the time that it's conditioning it will fade to your desired level.

What kind of oak and what char level did you have?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Wayyy, too much oak for that kind of beer. I don't use over 2oz in my bigger beers, so for an IPA that's going to be really strong. I'd bulk age it for a while in glass or stainless, then bottle it and let it sit for 6moz before trying it again.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Ozzie53
Recipes 

I'm not sure what kind of oak chips they were, from what i remember the package label just said "4oz Oak Chips". Next time i hit the brewstore i'll check out the package.

We've already kegged the beer and its priming, so theres no use trying to bottle it,...right? we decided to keg it because we hoped it would taste better carbonated, which i'm sure it wont.
This was my first beer brewed in over 9 years so i'm not surprised we muffed it up. But I think i'm gonna go chipless for my next few batches so i can make sure i get the foundation of the beer right.
Any suggestions for extract ipa recipes?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

After it's carbed, let it sit for a while at room temp. This will allow the oak to "age out" and mellow a bit. Take a look at the recipe section of this board for recipes, this will give you plenty of choice!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've read about over-oaked mead.. people will make a second batch with no oak and blend them to the right taste. You could make another quick batch of a basic extract IPA and do the same thing. Luckily you have kegged so it would be less trouble.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS