Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Won't Carbonate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
ytbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Won't Carbonate

I brewed a extract Belgian Golden Strong Ale which I put on a yeastcake of a tripel I had just bottled. I added a pkg of Safbrew T-58 after 3 days. Initial ferm was very vigorious and got a second little kick when the T-58 went in. OG was 1.085 and FG 1.012. It was a 5 gal batch. I used about 3/4 cup of corn sugar to bottle about 40 bottles of beer. After sitting for 4 weeks at around 75 degrees, the beer is flat. I shook the bottles good at about 2 weeks. Any ideas? Was the yeast from a high gravity beer simply exhausted. I'm thinking of mabye trying to uncap and put a few drops of fresh yeast in each bottle from a syringe or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
BobBailey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At that temperature you should have well carbonated beer in 2 weeks or so. I would guess that your yeast dropped out of suspension and you don't have enough left to do the job. I had the same problem once with New Belgium's proprietary strain and ended up opening the bottles, adding a few grains of US-05 and resealing them. I suspect it was a characteristic of the yeast strain.

I'd let it sit for a couple of weeks more and see what happens. Usually even after cold crashing and/or bulk aging there is still enough yeast to carb up. It just takes more time than usual.

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply