Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wireless Digital Thermometer on Woot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
ThreeRatBastards
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default Wireless Digital Thermometer on Woot

$12.99 for Acu-Rite Wireless Digital Cooking and Barbeque Thermometer. I'm thinking this could work nicely inside a MLT.

What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is very cool. However, I'll say that I've lost two digital thermometers to brewing because they weren't waterproof, and I would doubt that this one is.

If you're interested in checking out this thermometer, I'd read this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remo...roofing-26905/

Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The connection between the probe and the braided wire is not waterproof. Yeah, you could try to waterproof it a la DRoy's link, but why? Save yourself a lot of headache and just get a type k thermocouple. Your mash temps should not be changing so much over the course of a mash that you really need a wireless thermometer to carry around with you.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I was interested in this same thermometer simply from the angle of being alerted when my water hits strike temp or gets close to boiling. Given the trouble involved with waterproofing it, I think I'll pass.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oooh, so tempting...I just borked my last one by dropping it in to the wort....it works now, (buttons stick), but it's off by 5-10 degrees randomly.

Before it took a few wort swims, it worked great...set alarms to tell me when I was reaching steep/mash/strike temps, put the remote probe inside my mash "bucket", wrap the bucket in a sleeping bag to hold temps, and have the unit outside the sleeping bag so I could constantly monitor mash temps for the whole hour without unwrapping the pot...

My wires were cracked and gross too, but I think that was from the high temp barbequing I put it through before I repurposed it for beer making....I think as long as you don't let it swim, I think it's a good deal.

I promised SWMBO that I wouldn't buy any more beer stuff in the near future though...hrm....

Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice find. Thanks

"Carpe Diem"

Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Oooh, so tempting...I just borked my last one by dropping it in to the wort....it works now, (buttons stick), but it's off by 5-10 degrees randomly.

Before it took a few wort swims, it worked great...set alarms to tell me when I was reaching steep/mash/strike temps, put the remote probe inside my mash "bucket", wrap the bucket in a sleeping bag to hold temps, and have the unit outside the sleeping bag so I could constantly monitor mash temps for the whole hour without unwrapping the pot...

My wires were cracked and gross too, but I think that was from the high temp barbequing I put it through before I repurposed it for beer making....I think as long as you don't let it swim, I think it's a good deal.

I promised SWMBO that I wouldn't buy any more beer stuff in the near future though...hrm....

Its not for beer making. Its for grilling....

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Quick Reply