Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Winter is gone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
I'm in South Texas. We don't have anything I would call a winter.
Yeah, but it sure was cold Friday night, wasn't it? I turned my furnace on.

Today it's sunny and a wee bit warmer, so we're taking out the neighbors boat and going fishing. We bought a sack of oysters last week, and we're still shucking them outside while listening to music. (We're on the coast).

I love "winter" in South Texas!!!!!

And, the beer selection at HEB isn't at all bad. I have two types of homebrew on tap, and am supplementing it with good commercials. One of my favorites is Real Ale Company's rye pale ale- that's a good one (and cheap!).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

-17 Right now. My pipes were frozen this morning and my truck decided it is sleeping in today. Which sucks because I'm out of coffee.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaworm69 View Post
-17 Right now. My pipes were frozen this morning and my truck decided it is sleeping in today. Which sucks because I'm out of coffee.
I thought of you (and the other HBT Wisconsin folks) today! My daughter told me it's cold today, and that it's been cold since Friday. I talked to my friend from Madison on Friday and he said he was pretty miserable so I think he's coming for a visit.

He's driven down every year, so I'm sure he's coming. He's awesome- he always brings Wisconsin beer (knows I LOVE Lakefront and New Glarus especially!) and cheese.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

There are advantages to the weather down here. My wife and I went to dinner in late January and we ate on the restaurant's porch--there was no need for a jacket. Sitting on the porch, eating a steak and drinking a nitro-dispensed porter. That was a nice night. I've found we have the opposite active seasons down here. Up north, everyone hides inside during the winter and goes out to play in summer. Down here, we hide in the AC during the summer and come out to play in the "winter."

Occasionally my furnace kicks on at night, but some nights we still have the ceiling fan blowing. When I brew in my garage with the door open, I wear shorts and sandals even in January and February. The only complain is trying to keep fermentation temps down.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaworm69 View Post
When I lived in Montana my truck had to be plugged in at night. Down here in South Texas, the heater and defroster in my truck doesn't even work and its no problem.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
thaworm69
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I thought of you (and the other HBT Wisconsin folks) today! My daughter told me it's cold today, and that it's been cold since Friday. I talked to my friend from Madison on Friday and he said he was pretty miserable so I think he's coming for a visit.

He's driven down every year, so I'm sure he's coming. He's awesome- he always brings Wisconsin beer (knows I LOVE Lakefront and New Glarus especially!) and cheese.
Thanks for thinking of us. We make a great 11 yr old cheddar, if you can get him to find you a block of that you will be heaven. Definitely better than any California cheese..I think those "happy cows" out there are way over rated!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2043 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
I'm in South Texas. We don't have anything I would call a winter. I'm getting ready to make a few batches of pale ale and hefes for summer. I will probably also make my Sour Mash Ale. It is great for a hot day--which we do get plenty of. I'm not looking forward to 110 deg days and 90 deg nights.
I kinda want to punch you in a bad place. I'm excited for 40F today.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I like a lighter beer when it's hot. Something I think I can drink all day and not get full from it. I'm brewing a dogfish midis touch clone I found on the recipes on hbt.com. The IBU is 12 so it's not really heavy. You might be able to convert some miller light buddies of yours because its sweet enough to compare to ML but if u buy a 4 PK it's about 13$. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
zmanzorro
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Was out at Jester King brewery in the Hill Country near Austin yesterday. Low 70s and sunny with great beer. It doesn't get better than that!

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 40 Posts

I drink German pilsners and saisons all summer long. In doubt your friends would go for a saison, though. And, pilsner's not an option if you don't have good temperature control. A kolsch would be a good option. The American wheat/rye ale in Brewing Classic Styles is also a good choice for warmer weather. I'm brewing a hoppier take on that recipe this weekend.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Quick Reply