Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Winning BJCP competitions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Winning BJCP competitions

I entered my first BJCP competition this year, The Alamo Cerveza Fest, in San Antonio, and just got the results.

My Bee Cave Brewery IPA took 2nd Place in the Indian Pale Ale catagory and my Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen took 3rd Place in the German Wheat and Rye catagory.

Needless to say, I am very stoked and one happy mofo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Thats really cool man, Congrats!. I entered my first comp this year too and one of my beers got judged in the wrong category and did really crappy, though the judges said that it was a "Great Beer, Just not to style" Well no crap.

Anyway, congrats again and how did you do on the BJCP exam I didn't see it posted anywhere.

Cheers

Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
TAnyway, congrats again and how did you do on the BJCP exam I didn't see it posted anywhere.
Thanks! Results are usually emailed 3-4 months later (graded by BJCP volunteers and then reviewed by BJCP volunteers).

BJCP is pretty particular in sticking to style, so you need to be careful to see if your beer fits. Hopefully you got some good feedback. I entered 5 catagories, but don't have the feeback yet, and the Apple wine catatory has not yet been judged yet (keeping fingers crossed). It would be very cool if my Apfewein placed as well.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia
congrats Ed! Nice to get that validation every once in a while.
Thanks! It does feel good, but then again, the guys here in the beer swap gave me all the validation I really needed. It's one thing to make beer that you enjoy, but when others really enjoy it too, the work involved seems like play time.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Thanks! Results are usually emailed 3-4 months later (graded by BJCP volunteers and then reviewed by BJCP volunteers).

BJCP is pretty particular in sticking to style, so you need to be careful to see if your beer fits. Hopefully you got some good feedback. I entered 5 catagories, but don't have the feeback yet, and the Apple wine catatory has not yet been judged yet (keeping fingers crossed). It would be very cool if my Apfewein placed as well.
I understand that they are very strict about sticking to style, I entered a Kolsch (Cat 6C) and it was judged in the Blonde Ale (6B) Category, it was someone at the competitions fault (steward/judge, who ever is in charge of labeling bottles and filling out the paperwork), I already talked to the event coordinator, and they offered their sincerest apologies. I entered two kolsches & one was judged as a 6C & one as a 6B, sorry to highjack.

I did get good feedback though they, described my beer exactly, and said that it was a great beer. But this is also why I am studying for the BJCP exam, so i can help keep this from happening again.

Congrats again though, wow i didn't think that it took that long to get the test results, did you go any classes or anything leading up to it? they are going to be offering some classes for a few months before they have the test around here next year.
Cheers

Last edited by WOP31; 08-15-2007 at 04:28 AM.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
I did get good feedback though they, described my beer exactly, and said that it was a great beer. But this is also why I am studying for the BJCP exam, so i can help keep this from happening again.
Sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like the feedback was good. I have not seen mine. I entered my Kolsch and Haus Pale, but no word on that yet.

Good luck on the BJCP test. It is a doozy!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply