Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Winning Beer Competitions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
bethebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Winning Beer Competitions

Other than real attention to BJCP style guidelines, any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Competition is truly to style so you need to be sure your beer meets this parameters, other than that it's got to be great beer!

There is a lot of subjectivity in the judging so don't be discouraged if your beer doesn't do as well as you think.

Try entering the same beer in several competitions and then summarize your brew sheet results in ways to improve.

I've entered several and find its kind of a crap shoot. One beer didn't place in one comp but then it scored bronze in the next, go figure

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1. enter a bunch of beers. if you enter 10 or 20 beers your bound to place in one of them, unless you are not a decent brewer. there are alot of people that do this.

2. choose your category wisely. Pale ales, IPAs and stouts seem to be popular categories. enter a category that doesnt get alot of entries. better chance of winning if you enter a category that has 5 entries vs a category that has 30 entries.

follow these guidelines and you should get a ribbon. OR you could just brew 1 beer that is to style and better than everyone elses. doing 1 and 2 above is probably easier.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
naiek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Maybe focus less on winning and more on improving. Succeeding in the latter usually leads to succeeding in the former.
My $0.02

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiek
Maybe focus less on winning and more on improving. Succeeding in the latter usually leads to succeeding in the former.
My $0.02
Agreed

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiek View Post
My $0.02
Hence why a lot of people enter competitions, to also get feed back to improve their beer!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In my (limited) experience the beers that tend to win fall on the higher end (higher OG, more IBUs, etc) of the BJCP guidelines. This is especially true of categories were palate fatigue comes into play.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
bethebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
In my (limited) experience the beers that tend to win fall on the higher end (higher OG, more IBUs, etc) of the BJCP guidelines. This is especially true of categories were palate fatigue comes into play.
Yes I agree. In our local competition this year there were 13 completely different styles. I won with a an American Barleywine with a 44. Big hoppy beautiful beer.

Now obviously I am a bit biased but honestly that's about what I expected to score (hoped to score you never know).

Another guy entered what I considered to be a nice cider. Not the equal to my barleywine of course but you can imagine going from one to the other.

Out here people love their hops too so hoppy beers tend to rule at the competition not by default but given a choice.

What I hope to achieve is to improve and get feedback at the competitions. And to win of course. The other thing I like is trying to meet the style. It's an additional challenge, one that I used to hate but now embrace. Fun to try to brew to a description I find.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Competition is truly to style so you need to be sure your beer meets this parameters, other than that it's got to be great beer!
Actually, the judges have no way of knowing if your beer really meets the parameters, especially in OG. I've seen many beers out of category actually win.

My favorite is many years ago when one of the judges commented on the winning beer in the NHC "This is really malty for a 1.038 beer!" The beer was actually 1.060 and entered in category that had an upper limit of 1.038 or so.

If you read Jamil's book, many of his beers are not brewed to style, they're brewed to win competitions. He learned what the judges expected and adjusted accordingly.

Reason: Left out a couple of words

Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
bethebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
Actually, the judges have no way of knowing if your beer really meets the parameters, especially in OG. I've seen many beers out of category actually win.

My favorite is many years ago when one of the judges commented on the winning beer "This is really malty for a 1.038 beer!" The beer was actually 1.060 and entered in category that had an upper limit of 1.038 or so.

If you read Jamil's book, many of his beers are not brewed to style, they're brewed to win competitions. He learned what the judges expected and adjusted accordingly.
They like those "really malty" beers LOL

Quick Reply