wine making from kit - hope you don't mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just make a batch of 6 gal carb. sauvignon from Selection kit. I use 6.5 gal carboy for primary fermentation. The kit say use bucket and cover for 6-7 days. My question is should I put the airlock in like with beer?

My buckets are being used for porter and ale!

calman said:
Hello all,
Just make a batch of 6 gal carb. sauvignon from Selection kit. I use 6.5 gal carboy for primary fermentation. The kit say use bucket and cover for 6-7 days. My question is should I put the airlock in like with beer?

My buckets are being used for porter and ale!

There are wine forums on this board, but I don't think you will catch too much grief for posting here. I have a Wine Expert Estate series wine in the primary right now. While some people don't use airlocks, it seems like folly to me not to.

Here is an interesting poll on this subject:

From here:

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=8751

I let it all hang out (no cover at all)[ 0 ] [0.00%]

Plastic wrap or sheeting[ 5 ] [13.51%]

Solid lid with seal (o-ring) and airlock[ 18 ] [48.65%]

Straining bag[ 0 ][0.00%]

Cheesecloth or other breathable material[ 4 ] [10.81%]

Other - Please do tell[ 10 ] [27.03%]

----------

Read some of the responses. Interesting (one guy puts Bandaids over the hole in his primary). Just after you do read them, don't stay over there. Get your tail back over here.... :)

zzx

Back