Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Will kegged beer taste bad if its cold,warm,then cold again?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
jbug440
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will kegged beer taste bad if its cold,warm,then cold again?

If I have a kegerator with a keg of yuengling, a keg from a local microbrew,and a keg of homebrew. They are chilled to serving temps and I drink half of each. My kegerator breaks and they sit at room temp. for a week (70-75 degrees). Then the kegerator is fixed and the beer is brought back to serving temps. will some or none of them still taste good? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really want to know this question really bothers me.
Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

It should be fine.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Outside of wild temperature fluctuations (like 30 to 95+) oxygen (your using co2), and bacteria/wild yeast, your beer should not go bad.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read an article once where a guy did manage to get some very off flavors in a brew if he heated it up to 140ish in a toaster oven. So your beer might be compromised if you left it in a car on the hottest summer day for a long time. But the regular fluctuations don't do anything. Myth Busted.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
jbug440
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

... and don't microwave the keg or put it in a toaster oven.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Blueskew
Recipes 

Hi guys. Reviving an old message. I'm new to kegging, but this post interests me as I am trying to determine whether I'll be force carbing at room temp over time or chilling, carbing, and then letting the keg warm back up to room temp (I don't have sufficient cooling space currently to handle my kegs).

I know that the original poster mentioned a single scenario, but if I do this to carb and then let the keg return to room temp will I be damaging my beer? What if I do this again multiple times to serve beer type A one night, then type B another night, then back to A again (assuming only one keg can be kept cold at a time? In the meantime I'll keep searching the forums.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

In general higher temperatures are bad and temperature swings are bad. A single cycle of chilling down to 40 and warming to 70 isn't going to be materially worse than just leaving it at 70 the entire time.

If you need to keep kegs warm for a while, why not just carbonate them by adding sugar? People seem to think this will result in more yeast in the keg, but the yeast won't reproduce unless you add more free amino nitrogen (eg by adding DME or speise).

Old 05-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskew View Post
Hi guys. Reviving an old message. I'm new to kegging, but this post interests me as I am trying to determine whether I'll be force carbing at room temp over time or chilling, carbing, and then letting the keg warm back up to room temp (I don't have sufficient cooling space currently to handle my kegs).

I know that the original poster mentioned a single scenario, but if I do this to carb and then let the keg return to room temp will I be damaging my beer? What if I do this again multiple times to serve beer type A one night, then type B another night, then back to A again (assuming only one keg can be kept cold at a time? In the meantime I'll keep searching the forums.
Take a bottled beer (commercial or homebrew), and refrigerate it, then bring it to room temp, then refrigerate again, then room temp again, etc. It will be fine. This is no different than a keg, which is a giant bottle of beer. You will be fine. If you prove me otherwise, I give you free access to my free bar.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

What about Pasteurization? If I were to heat sealed bottles up to 150°F after they were around 75°F, let them get back to room temps and then chill them would this affect my beer?

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Quick Reply